The Sub 3:15 Marathon Thread

0 lurker | 247 watchers
29 Jul
4:45pm, 29 Jul 2016
1925 posts
K5 Gus
WW - not so much of the "old man" comments about yourself, you're not even 45 yet !! Think of how you're making us "real" old boys feel ;-)

Don't think my Berlin attempt will be anywhere near PB, but still hope to be well under 3:15 - not being focused enough on "proper" marathon training. eg today was supposed to be a steady 11 mile MLR, and I did a 7 mile fell run up 2 Munros with over 3000 ft of climbing, was great fun though, and fantastic views :-)
Got my local village Highland Games hill race next Wednesday, so there goes another MLR........
All this hill running, and Berlin is one of the flattest marathons in the world Raspberry!
29 Jul
5:34pm, 29 Jul 2016
3051 posts
lunaman
Welcome Alan. It's a given if you're called alan that you'll run a sub 3:15.

Snap Gus on the old age thing haha! But I'm not jealous of your running up Munros, oh no, honestly I'm not you lucky bugger.
Q117 for me too I reckon now. The new orthotic / learning-to-run routine took a step back when I pulled my shoulder doing the 'heron' (yoga pose). No one told me yoga was so dangerous.
So, I'm rebooting and starting again. The heel / achilles is still bothersome even after all this constant rebooting. Confident of at least hitting another 40 mile a week campaign for next spring though.
Glorious mileage Nelly.
29 Jul
5:42pm, 29 Jul 2016
5717 posts
paul the builder
Link (roll over me to see where I go)

I'm not sure exactly which of those various oddly varied poses you were going for, but my hamstring would have snapped long before my shoulder was in any trouble with most of them, I think.
29 Jul
6:23pm, 29 Jul 2016
2854 posts
STOOSH
ooft - this thread has certainly come alive....

Welcome Alan - your doing well pace wise if you log all your miles. A nice consistent training plan should see you through 3.15... best of luck!!

BR - good to see you getting back to things and building for spr**g ;-)

Did a mp session with tizer last night although i bailed after 4.5m when my legs fell to pieces, probably more to do with doing 13m including a local hill 3hrs earlier.. tizer managed the full 10 whereas i did 5.5m @mp with 8m in total (i jumped on the last mile).
29 Jul
9:44pm, 29 Jul 2016
16 posts
Alan
Thanks BR, WW, Lunamann & Stoosh. Don't worry Stoosh I'm quite anal about logging my miles (except for the missing 4 years in my log, no idea what happened there).

Wow PtB, those poses look painful, I'd split my shorts if I managed that!
29 Jul
10:09pm, 29 Jul 2016
3052 posts
lunaman
Yeah, I don't get *anywhere* near that in the heron pose. There's a good book 'Runner's Yoga Book' (great title) where they have photos of a 'proper' yoga person with rubber limbs but alongside that some middle aged running geezer where they have to winch his leg off the floor - that's me! Very reassuring.
Link (roll over me to see where I go)

About This Thread

For those who want to go sub 3.15 in a marathon and/or those that have already done it and want to give advice. Share your journey (or help somone else's!) here.

Autumn 2016 plans for racing, or participating for fun/training purposes(*):
---------------------------------
Aug 20 - Reykjavik - Shoddy
Sept 11 - New Forest - Alan
Sept 18 - Kent Coyote - Rog T, Scooby Dave
Sept 25 - Berlin - K5 Gus, donran, LouLou
Sept 25 - Loch Ness - Joe Hawk
Sept 25 - Robin Hood - Nelly
Oct 2 - Chester - Joe Hawk
Oct 2 - Cologne - Tizer
Oct 2 - Jersey - Shoddy
Oct 9 - York - Joe Hawk, GavD
Oct 29 - Snowdonia - DuncanG
Oct 30 - Ljubljana - Uyuni
Oct 30 - Frankfurt - SM6
Oct 30 - Dublin - paul the builder
Nov 27 - Florence - Joe Hawk
---------------------------------

Medal! Liquid carbs For Santa! *fist-bump* etc.
The 2016 roll of honour - this outstanding collection of individuals has gone sub-3:15:
BS, Nelly, K5 Gus, KinkyS, whiteflash, paul a, puzzler, dan., Bazoaxe, Windsor Wool, paul the builder, donran, lunaman, Scooby Dave, Rossco Peeko
(sub-3er's can get their glory elsewhere ;-))