Email Password Forgot? | Register

Sub 3Hr Marathon

0 lurkers | 183 watchers
4:42pm, 28 Jan 2015
263 posts
Ahhh the joys of a wife and kids, my little buggers are always up at 6 every morning. To get my Sunday run long I let her have a lay in on Saturday so I can go out for an early long run on the Sunday and am back by 9. Just means I never get the chance to have a lay in which would be nice.
5:02pm, 28 Jan 2015
1246 posts
I work almost every Saturday which makes the situation just a little bit more awkward :-/
5:10pm, 28 Jan 2015
264 posts
Ah! How far away is your work?
5:13pm, 28 Jan 2015
1247 posts
Less than a mile and I need a car for my work.
11:17pm, 28 Jan 2015
61 posts
Illness etc has put gaps in my training. I've tried to just get some sort of mileage in, but quality and length of runs have suffered. A couple of miles around the track at goal marathon pace in the middle of my Sunday long run were not as comfortable as I hoped, so I need to ensure the speed work gets done. My weight is stubbornly staying high, so self-discipline required on portion size.
10:11am, 29 Jan 2015
214 posts
I just checked my mileage and I reckon I'm a bit down on what I did last time (even though I set out hoping to do a little more). However, I also think I'm running faster! At least the interval paces look that way. Might be due to colder temps or flatter terrain, but I'll take it anyway.
12:57pm, 29 Jan 2015
1083 posts
jd- I have taken same approach really. Will up miles a bit, but at a better pace is more important to me. I think balance is key.

4:03pm, 30 Jan 2015
19 posts
Update from me, dropped the interval runs and wont pick them back up until the end of February as also spoke to my former boss and he advised that no need to do them until nearer the time. He feels that mile efforts are the way forward when I do though, any thoughts?

Managing to hit a decent mileage around the shift work and fitted in a 5km race midweek and running the hilly Longleat 10k this Sunday to also add some speed into my legs. First month nearly done...lets hope for three more good ones prior to London!
3:29am, 1 Feb 2015
215 posts
rjc, my plan has lots of 1 mile (and longer) threshold intervals, which feels like it must be right for a marathon, and I was pleased with the results last time. Note that these are not true intervals with rest, but more like changes of pace within a longer run. Actually I'm also doing a weekly interval session now (around 20 mins total work in 1-3min intervals), but that's mostly cos it's a convenient club session that gets me out midweek.

Things going well enough for me as the sessions intensify. Yesterday I did an hour straight up a local hill, 900m ascent (currently in Japan!), so today's long run was a little sluggish :-) But I managed it. Slightly sore lower legs now but I'm pretty sure that's just the result of heavy shoes and steep snowy hills.

Join Us Now!

Fetcheveryone is a free website for runners, bikers, swimmers, triathletes, and outdoorsy types.

We have an epic training log, more event listings than any site we know of, and supportive community that will help you achieve your goals. And in case you've forgotten already, it's free!

Pic: Getty / Paul Bradbury

Follow My Training vLog

Every week, I'll be sharing my video diary of my training exploits, as I work my way towards an attempt at the Virgin Money London Marathon.

This week: New recipe section, we hit 14 miles, I start my beginners group, and the dog gets a haircut.

About This Thread

Target Sub 3Hr in 2015

VLM - dan(2:55), Dave Kelly (2:50), MrD (2:49:59), Idlewild(2:59), baz p(2:39:39), bazoaxe (2:59), runningjogcrawl(2:59)
Vienna - jdarun(2:59)
Manchester - abdou(2:59), speedy rob(2:55)
Shakespeare - steeplechaser(2:59)
Frankfurt - tom_craggs(2:38)
Milton Keynes - Gym_Bunny (2:50)

Charity Partners

Want a place in your dream race, or raise money for a good cause? Speak to one of our charity partners, or click the links below:

Close