West Chiltern Hills trail running

2 watchers
18 Mar
11:21am, 18 Mar 2024
First-time poster!!
  •  
Lozza4269
Over the past few years I have taken the plunge from road running to trail running and in all honesty haven't looked back. The only issue I have found however is finding a trail group/club in my area so I can run with others particularly on the long runs over the weekend.

I live about 15 mins north-west of Henley-on-Thames and wondered if anyone knew of any trail running clubs/groups/communities in this area? I'm referring to this area as the "West Chilterns Hills" i.e. west of High Wycombe, north of the Thames, east of Goring and south of Wallingford/Watlington.

I'm brand new to this website so not sure how many other trail runners there are but thought its worth a try.

All the best,

Lozza
18 Mar
11:27am, 18 Mar 2024
52,038 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Welcome, lozza. I have had a go at tagging this thread, so the "Related Threads" box over there > may be worth a look.

And take a look at the map here: fetcheveryone.com/clubs.php
18 Mar
1:50pm, 18 Mar 2024
2,697 posts
  •  
ptr_runner
Firstly, welcome. Secondly, what a wonderful place to live. I used to live near Princess Risborough and loved running through the Chilterns. The "On the run Aylesbury" used to do a lot of trail running, but they might be a bit far north for you.

Worth checking out if there's any clubs from the base at benson that might do stuff.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!
18 Mar
2:22pm, 18 Mar 2024
4,180 posts
  •  
NordRunner
Welcome to Fetch. There are many of us trailrunners, though not necessarily in you area. Feel free to discuss the issue in general.
18 Mar
2:25pm, 18 Mar 2024
30,278 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Welcome to FE :-)

You could also try looking for public routes in your area:

fetcheveryone.com/routes-public.php

Each route has been uploaded by a Fetchie, so if you click on someone's profile, you can see a bit more about them. If they look local, I'm sure most wouldn't mind if you sent them a polite Fmail to ask about local groups.
18 Mar
2:36pm, 18 Mar 2024
6,241 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
I wrote this below and then realised that these clubs are NE of Henley rather than NW. All the same, have you googled for clubs in your local area? I think you’d be best simply getting in touch with them and sounding them out. Good luck.

- - - - - - -

Have you spoken to anyone from Handy Cross Runners or Marlow Striders? I’ve never been a member of either but know members from both clubs and they are friendly and well organised.

They are not ‘trail-only’ clubs but I’m not sure that you’ll find that down in our neck of the woods. I’m sure both clubs take to the hills at the weekends though.
21 Mar
2:56pm, 21 Mar 2024
4,102 posts
  •  
Oranj
There is a group called Watlington Runners who organise this race: watlingtonrunners.com but the website seems pretty short on other information.
21 Mar
4:06pm, 21 Mar 2024
4,740 posts
  •  
StuH
Not quite within the boundary you describe but there is Tring Running club, who organise the Coombe Hill fell race.
4 Apr
4:58pm, 4 Apr 2024
2 posts
  •  
Lozza4269
Thank you all for your help and tips. I've found there is a club in Benson, which is c.15 mins from where I live and will join them on a few runs over the coming weeks.

I've had a quick look at routes in my area but they are mostly created by runners who live elsewhere.. I think the Benson running group is probably the best shout in order to meet new people.

Thanks all for the help

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lozza4269
Over the past few years I have taken the plunge from road running to trail running and in all honesty haven't looked back. The only issue I have found however is finding a trail group/club in my area so I can run with others particularly on the long runs over the weekend.

I live about 15 mins north-west of Henley-on-Thames and wondered if anyone knew of any trail running clubs/groups/communities in this area? I'm referring to this area as the "West Chilterns Hills" i.e. west of Hig...