Sub 3Hr Marathon

302 watchers
Feb 2016
11:23am, 15 Feb 2016
22 posts
  •  
jennorocks
:( Spent from Tues to Sun in bed with the flu so almost missed a whole week of my pfitzinger recovery week.

Any tips getting back. Suppose to be a 70 mile peak week. Definitely won't be doing that but wondering what to do. Feel confident I was in really good shape just before, as indicated by a good MP and LT run. Have a HM planned a week on Sunday and should be good for that so might just do a slow build up to then ?
Feb 2016
11:28am, 15 Feb 2016
23 posts
  •  
jennorocks
Maybe I'll just do easy running until this weekend and hopefully be fit enough to get a LR in.
Feb 2016
12:03pm, 15 Feb 2016
1,320 posts
  •  
Tizer
I don't think having a few days off will have any impact whatsoever in your training and a lot of folk actually tend to kick on a bit because they needed the downtime. Stick to the plan and maybe have a few easy days just to make sure you're fully recovered
Feb 2016
12:04pm, 15 Feb 2016
441 posts
  •  
Chris
Bad luck jenno, I'm in the same boat. I've had a nice fever since Friday night and am unlikely to run until Wednesday at the earliest. And have a hm in just under 2 weeks.

I think it's probably best to have a couple of easy runs to ease back into it before getting back on the plan. That's the advice that seems sensible so watch my training log show 15 miles on Wednesday :)
Feb 2016
12:51pm, 15 Feb 2016
24 posts
  •  
jennorocks
lol cheers Chris, its frustrating but I knew i was really ill when i didnt even care I couldn't run. Then the mrs increased her diagnostic level from man-flu to flu.

Tizer you might be right, I've had no niggles and felt ok but its been a bit of a step up mileage wise. I very nearly chickened out and did the base plan again so a week to properly recover and kick on - I like the sound of that
Feb 2016
5:17pm, 15 Feb 2016
2,031 posts
  •  
Psimon
Jenno, it seems like you were out for only 5 to 6 days. If that is the case then I would just carry on with the P&D programme. In fact that is what P&D suggest in Advanced Marathoning. Page 148

Less then 10 days missed and 8 weeks or more until schedule = resume schedule.
Feb 2016
5:38pm, 15 Feb 2016
657 posts
  •  
jdarun
After that much proper flu I'd be wary of doing too much for another week. Don't think I've ever had 6 days in a row ill!
Feb 2016
8:51pm, 15 Feb 2016
2,825 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Be careful. I got a bad cold early Feb two years ago, nothing too serious I thought, ran a Half hard before I'd recovered, then tried to come back with a 10k and pretty much screwed up the spring. Marathon went OK in Boston but not where I should have been.
Feb 2016
9:16pm, 15 Feb 2016
3,018 posts
  •  
run-forest-run
Thanks for all the different opinions and approaches to training, really interesting reading there, focusing on the long runs at the moment and probably lacking in MP runs other than parkrun but reading other approaches people and plans seem to introduce mp nearer to the marathon.
Feb 2016
9:28pm, 15 Feb 2016
2,827 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
I did do quite a bit of MP in the run up to my first few sub-3s, and followed strict training plans. Eventually I got better at running to effort and didn't feel the need for the exact pace practice. I do still enjoy pacing parkrun at 20 mins for a little reminder of deliberate pacing at around the same effort.

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
All about hitting the magic 2:xx:yy!
Targets 2024
======
28 April
Newport
Miser 2:45
Boston (Lincs)
Brunski 2:55
======
Results 2024
bunting
medal medal medal medal medal
18 Feb Seville
mattykay 2.58.32
14 April Rotterdam
jomo_richmond 2:43:18
21 April London
Chris 2:39:16
Alun 2:59:28
medal medal medal medal medal
bunting

=====================
Current (2018) thread owner jda, if I go awol then someone else should feel free to take over...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.