Sub 18 5k

124 watchers
19 Aug
2:01pm, 19 Aug 2024
25,384 posts
  •  
larkim
Yep, agree with nothing wrong with a break. It was more the apathetic way I approached it after having said earlier in the year I was going full tilt for a fast 5k at the end of this month.

Will probably revert to just 5-6 mile easy runs 5 or 6 times a week just to get back into routines.
19 Aug
3:41pm, 19 Aug 2024
1,786 posts
  •  
Chris
I'm at that point of do I have a bit of downtime to recover and then rebuild or do I keep at it a bit longer to see if I can eeek out any more performance. Larkim, its like coming back from injury just removing expectations and build back up to it.

5k for me yesterday went better than I expected after having a crappy few weeks, first 3k were spot on for a marginal pb but slowed and lost 11 seconds on the 4th and 7 seconds on the 5th. I'm sure its a mentality/self preservation issue but any training tips to help with holding that 4th kilometre?
21 Aug
11:09am, 21 Aug 2024
8 posts
  •  
BeeDeeVV
Followed my 17:38 from last month up with a 17:46 last night, for my second ever sub-18 and prove the first one wasn't a fluke. Having been on holiday last week and not running once I was very well tapered, not other than that not sure it was ideal preperation!

I can't imagine I'll be doing any more until next season now, other than parkruns, but I rarely go for a real attempt at those these days.

Time to start switching to XC now I guess.
21 Aug
11:44am, 21 Aug 2024
6,247 posts
  •  
paulcook
An ad hoc 10 x 400m reps last night in a vane theory of seeing if I could maybe manage something even approaching 18:00 5k at some point soon. It wasn't too pretty by the end, though I tried to keep form rather than push too much for pace.
31 Aug
2:15pm, 31 Aug 2024
25,468 posts
  •  
larkim
Well, I did 17:190 at Mid Cheshire 5k last night. So I don't get to join the club.

No more or less than I expected; hoped I still had the latent fitness to get dragged along in the 900+ field to a marginal sub 20, but to be honest I'm please at least I stuck to the task, especially after going past the 3k marker in 12:10 or so, knowing it would be tough to pull back enough.

It's shame as conditions were absolutely perfect for fast running (winner ran 13:58, you didn't finish in the top 700 unless you ran sub 20).

Ironically found some mojo from that run, despite it being my 2nd slowest ever on that course. As an honest marker of where my aerobic fitness is, it's a good line in the sand to move from. Even managed to get within 90s of that time this morning again on my lumpy traily parkrun, without intending to. Can't guarantee that the mojo will continue, but perhaps I should get a cheeky entry into the Spring version of the race to see if that provides the inspiration I'm looking for!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by SPR
Fastest 5k thread on Fetch. For those aspiring to Sub 18 (even if it is a stretch goal/ long shot) or that have achieved it.

2024 Achievers
Brunski @ Hillsborough parkrun 25 May
rhb @ Alex Park Parkrun 29 June
BeeDeeVV @ AVR Westbury 5k (July) 9 July

2024 Aspirers
allmatthew
Gobi
J2R
Larkim
Stuart Little
Windsor Wool

2024 Sub 17 or faster
Chris
Miser
SPR

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.