•  
SPR
Actually that was Mar 2023.
10 Jul
10:53pm, 10 Jul 2024
2,341 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
BeeDeeVV wrote:Entered last minute 5K on a course billed as flat and fast (3 laps round an industrial estate). Woke up today feeling quite rough so really wasn’t expecting much. However warmup felt good and decided to try and start with the 18 pacer. Everything seemed to click and for 3km was all feeling pretty easy and I decided to push on a bit. Then rapidly caught up with me, but ground out a massive PB of 17:38. Still can’t quite believe it.

Awesome result @BeeDeeVV

I was just about to dip out of this thread as it all felt way too out of my league, but you have given me encouragement to stick around, just a little longer at least.
11 Jul
10:52am, 11 Jul 2024
320 posts
  •  
Miser
Fantastic BeeDee! Lovely to see someone running a sensible 5k and pushing on rather than the burnouts we’ve been talking about.

Was that Westbury 5k series? My wife ran on Tuesday too. She’s put down the occasional standout time there - seems to be one of those where when it clicks there’s nothing to stop you!
11 Jul
4:03pm, 11 Jul 2024
3 posts
  •  
BeeDeeVV
Thanks all. Trying to catch up on sleep now as I hardly slept after that because I was so buzzing.

@Miser yes it was the Westbury 5K. It's the first one I've done. I'm based in Swindon and it's the fastest "local" race I've come across. I've done one at Odd Down (Bath) and Heddington, both of which are net negative elevation courses, but they do have uphills and I seem to struggle on those.

Any other fast ones you know over this way?

Other than that I know people from my athletics club have gone to fast courses in Cardiff and London.

@SPR I train once a week at the track with my local club (Swindon) and the sessions are virtually identical each year (and sometimes repeated in a 4 week block). Having come back from injury the sessions are starting to feel good again, but when comparing to last year (on Strava) it looks like reps were not quite as quick as last year, though only a second or 2 off.

However, I did reference footwear. I really feel I do respond well in certain shoes. Last year I was using the Nike Air Zoom Next% Tempo, Vaporfly & Endorphin Speed 2 all 3 shoes I really seemed to get on with. Tempo air pod popped and got rid of the Speeds as they were a tiiny bit small.

This year I've been using the Speed 3s and most recently Adidas Takumi Sen 8, neither of whch seem to be working quite as well for me.

I June I managed 3 weeks in a row of 40km, which for me is very high. In the final week I did almost nothing as had a huge amount on at home (youngest's 1st birthday party meant various garden jobs had to be completed), so went into the race extremely tapered.

The warm up, which was just one loop of the 3 lap course, felt extremely good. I looked at my watch expecting to see 5:30/km (my general easy run pace) and it was more like 5:00/km. So I went from thinking I'll try for my first sub-19 of the year to deciding to give sub-18 a shot.

I was wearing a newish pair of AlphaFly version 1. This seems to be a shoe I get on extremely well with. Had to retire my last pair after a pod popped.
11 Jul
9:16pm, 11 Jul 2024
321 posts
  •  
Miser
I think you’ve covered them BeeDee. I've not done Heddington, but hear there's a big hill at the end. I tend to do Odd Down, as it's got a deeper field and is on a different day of the week to Westbury, so we can double team.

The only other one (bit far from you!) is Yeovilton, which I always mean to try. Classic by an airfield route, so flat but wind susceptible apparently.
Think we’re quite lucky to have so many series round here over the summer!
SPR
11 Jul
9:25pm, 11 Jul 2024
45,131 posts
  •  
SPR
@BeeDeeVV shoes definitely make a difference these days so yes training times may have been due to that.

I have the Takumi Sen 9 (my first supershoe) and although I've generally liked them for road interval training Vs daily trainers, I've never used them for track and have not felt they were better than my old school flats for road racing.

Congrats again on a well run race.
11 Jul
10:44pm, 11 Jul 2024
4 posts
  •  
BeeDeeVV
@Miser I was rather lucky that there was a decent little group with the 18 pacer (and credit to him for some pretty even pacing). I guess if I set my sights higher then will might need to look for deeper fields.

Next target will probably be a 10k, may see you at one of the Langley Burrell races. I have some unfinished business after blowing up there last year. Really felt that uphill finish! 😂

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by SPR
Fastest 5k thread on Fetch. For those aspiring to Sub 18 (even if it is a stretch goal/ long shot) or that have achieved it.

2024 Achievers
Brunski @ Hillsborough parkrun 25 May
rhb @ Alex Park Parkrun 29 June
BeeDeeVV @ AVR Westbury 5k (July) 9 July

2024 Aspirers
allmatthew
Gobi
J2R
Larkim
Stuart Little
Windsor Wool

2024 Sub 17 or faster
Chris
Miser
SPR

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.