low mileage ultra training

14 watchers
13 Mar
9:27pm, 13 Mar 2024
3,627 posts
  •  
cackleberry
LDWA welcomes runners :)

(The winner of the 100 miler I attended last year did it in 22 hours.)

Good luck with your WRCR, when is it?
13 Mar
9:35pm, 13 Mar 2024
19,268 posts
  •  
NDWDave
I’ve done 100 milers off about 25-30 miles a week
13 Mar
9:40pm, 13 Mar 2024
17,670 posts
  •  
jennywren
This thread is really helping me not panic that I’ve got my first 50k ultra in the summer and I’m doing less than 30 miles a week! I’m only run/walking most of my miles but walking fast when I only walk.
13 Mar
10:24pm, 13 Mar 2024
4 posts
  •  
Barefoot Pilgrim
Thanks Cackleberry, I didn't realise the LDWA had so many events, they look great :)
13 Mar
10:33pm, 13 Mar 2024
5 posts
  •  
Barefoot Pilgrim
No need to worry Jennywren. It seems to me that just about all running advice is borrowed from professional athletics training, where speed is everything, when a lot of us are looking for more holistic goals from our long distance running. As long as you go slow enough I reckon you could go all day :)
14 Mar
7:13am, 14 Mar 2024
17,671 posts
  •  
jennywren
Thank you! I think you’re right. A lot of it will be about confidence that I can do it too!
14 Mar
8:03am, 14 Mar 2024
1,951 posts
  •  
Shades
Ultras are so much about strength of mind. Training will only get your round so far, your determination to finish will do the rest.
14 Mar
9:50am, 14 Mar 2024
1,453 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
Never done any LDWA, I am definitely a runner, though I take plenty of walk breaks for hills and food. Hi Sam, I actually prefer the unpaved towpaths. What percentage of the WRCR is on paved do you reckon?

If memory serves, there is a fair amount of paved surface. The oxford canal sticks in my mind as being very overgrown and muddy in places, in the depth of the night that wasn't fun.

I can recommend The Two Boats at Long Itchington as a place to stop for a pint at about the 70 mile point (almost in sight of CP3). Very welcoming of a smelly tired runner...

Here is my map with some of the shops and water points marked on it, just remember your key for the water points, and that some of them might be on the other side of the canal...

plotaroute.com
14 Mar
1:45pm, 14 Mar 2024
31,453 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I spend more time worrying I don't do enough miles than I do running more miles :)
I'm managing on up to 35/40 miles a week but mostly in the 20s and expect I would be much better tending towards 50
I'm very much a run-walker and chose my ultras very carefully based on cut-offs!
I should think that the all-day on feet window cleaning helps a fair bit, but another recommendation to try a couple of LDWA events in your build up
14 Mar
2:56pm, 14 Mar 2024
144 posts
  •  
unsliced
I'm totally onboard with viewing ultras as much as an event for the mind as for the feet - especially if you're not aiming to chew up the course, but just to finish with a grin.

I do also feel that it is not about what you're currently doing as what you've done in the past (although clearly the OP has very decent cross training so it is not just about the mileage).

The anecdotal evidence (there might even be science) is that it is easier to unlock performance if you've been there before than if you're building the capability for the first time, e.g. Camille Herron's advice to skip the long run.

About This Thread

Maintained by Barefoot Pilgrim
Hi everyone, I'm a very low weekly mileage ultra runner. Last year I averaged 10-15 miles a week in training and ran the 47 mile Windermere Lap. This year I'm doing the 111 mile Warwickshire Canal Ring. I'm doing about 10 miles a week at the moment, and hope to get up to 20 before the big day.
You probably won't be surprised to hear that I've never found a training plan that comes remotely near to suiting my lifestyle, but I'd love to hear from any other runners wh...