Elite Athletics Thread

162 watchers
May 2017
12:19pm, 2 May 2017
1,910 posts
  •  
larkim
Whereas there are "loads of" Russian doping offences, quite a few Kenyan doping offences, quite a few Turkish doping offences etc etc.

@Chrisull - I've read quite a lot of Tucker's stuff, but he seems to me to be something of a keyboard warrior with fixed opinions. There are questions to be asked of Paula ref some of her evidence as quoted in Dick Pounds report, and it isn't helpful that she has chosen not to present answers to some of those questions, but I find that Tucker seems to approach some cases with a prejudged view. Though I could equally be guilty of that (and acknowledge that possibility).
May 2017
12:28pm, 2 May 2017
202 posts
  •  
Dowse
As a starting point the world record equivalent of the twitter verified account blue tick might be helpful. Leave the records as they are, but if they've met the new criteria then give them the "blue tick" just to let everyone know that they've met the higher level of scrutiny. Doesn't mean older records aren't valid, just that the newer times most likely are.

Paula makes a good point about why introduce this now when we still can't catch everyone that's cheating. We'd only be heading for another "reset" in 10 years time when we learn how to catch out the ones currently slipping through.
May 2017
12:36pm, 2 May 2017
10,903 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Yeah - but his view on Paula was and is "I don't know". That's not a prejudged view? He can be at other times yes quite gung-ho I agree. I don't know many people who'd say she handled it well.

The TUE stuff - David Millar's comment on triamcinolone , are well documented: telegraph.co.uk

Yes they were used therapeutically, but also they have an undeniably performance enhancing effect. I'm nervous that in cycling the Yates brothers are known as "the TUE twins". As the sport gets muckier, grey areas need to be avoided to remove any doubt, others - as in cycling the default view becomes "they're all cheats" which I don't agree with, but cynicism is easily encouraged.
May 2017
4:46pm, 2 May 2017
1,914 posts
  •  
larkim
Chris - perhaps its my Paula-tinted-glasses but I certainly read his "I don't know" as being "I've got more suspicions than I should have".

Also a slightly less widely publicised view on triamcinolone was reported from doctors (also in the Telegraph) noting that it actually wouldn't have any PED effect - I think I trust the docs more than Millar on this one! telegraph.co.uk
May 2017
4:50pm, 2 May 2017
1,915 posts
  •  
larkim
We often hear of athletes having "suspicions" about other athletes. Over the last 12-18 months or so I've started to come to the conclusion that other athletes are probably one of the worst sources of this sort of rumour. They feed off the rumour mill perhaps even more than keyboard warriors (myself included!), and there is definitely a risk that they delude themselves by using "they're doping, that's why they're beating me" as a psychological boost to their egos.

Every time I've had the chance to engage with a current or former elite on the subject of "well why don't you pass what you know onto the authorities" I've got the answer "well, I don't really know anything, but I've heard, you know, the rumours about XYZ" etc etc
May 2017
5:00pm, 2 May 2017
10,904 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Millar's auto-bio is VERY candid on the different effects the drugs, EPO, blood transfusions etc had. I trust the first hand one more than the docs, they aren't the ones using it themselves.
SPR
May 2017
7:00pm, 2 May 2017
23,991 posts
  •  
SPR
I think the why don't you show us all your data to prove you're clean idea is wrong. WADA have all the data and if we don't think they're doing their job, we should be going after them, not the athletes.

I wonder whether the reset idea is partly about the hype generated by record attempts. Erase previous records and you might have many attempts over the next couple of summers, more hype and more dollars.
SPR
May 2017
9:11pm, 2 May 2017
23,992 posts
  •  
SPR
m.facebook.com
May 2017
8:41am, 3 May 2017
15,028 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
It worked on the World Hour Cycling record - even if that was just reset for technical reasons.
May 2017
8:43am, 3 May 2017
15,029 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
Anyway, I'd keep all the records as they are and let people judge for themselves how filthy each of them is.

About This Thread

Maintained by SPR
A thread to discuss any interesting stories or developments in elite athletics.

If there's anything that would be useful to add to the links or here, let me know.

If you enjoy watching athletics why not have a go yourself? If you have any questions about how to go about doing that, ask on the Track & Field Fetchies thread. Someone is bound to be able to help:

fetcheveryone.com/forum/track-field-fetchies-6378/

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.