99 watchers
TT
Aug 2015
9:05am, 25 Aug 2015
1,840 posts
  •  
TT
Thanks Fenland Flier. :-)

Poole, very nice Bootcampgirl :-) Just looked at their parkrun and the slowest this week was 54 minutes, which is early on in c25k. parkrun.org.uk The thing that I find really impressive is that there are 2 runners there that stand out as having been tail running encouragers. 711 and 709. This is something pretty special.

Right, I'm messing about. It's seven lots of run 3 min, walk 2 for me today. Not quite the NHS c25k. That's the joy of this, you can get to know what works for you and tweak it. Looking forward to hearing about your first run BCG, the first one is the most mentally challenging. Weight wise I'm with you. Things I do to be careful with my joints are thinking about my running surface. Ordinary pavement is on a slight slope. I still run on it but try to find more forgiving surfaces. The canal path near me is good and there are parks where I can run on grass. It's little things, not sure if it makes a difference but I'm seldom injured. Building up at my size I'm very aware of giving my joints and connective 'things' time to make adaptations, not just muscles and lungs. I struggle with my pride, thinking I should be doing more and faster but I know that my joints need time and patience. No actual injuries in however many years I've been doing this... tempting fate aren't I!

Anyway, just enjoy.
Aug 2015
2:05pm, 26 Aug 2015
4,522 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
Hi TT & Bootcamp
Another fan of parkrun here - it's a great way of seeing how much you improve and remember it's not a race and if you want to walk some or all of it nobody minds either.
I'm also a big fan of Slimming World ...In fact I've often wondered about becoming a consultant with them and having my own group....

Good luck with your couch to 5k training... and don't forget to keep posting on this thread (or indeed one of the others here) or even blog about your progress ... it's a very friendly and welcoming site and you will find lots of encouragement and tips.
:-)
TT
Aug 2015
2:58pm, 26 Aug 2015
1,842 posts
  •  
TT
Thanks BaronessBL :-) I'm using a lot of my slimming world recipes and habits with My Fitness Plan calorie counting. I just found the restrictions on things like tinned soups grated with me. Silly I know, but I love a tin of Baxter's Lentil and bacon soup for lunch and the odd innocent smoothie. I need a bit of portion control discipline with mashed potatoes too. The best habit that I'm trying to keep up is filling half of my plate with salad or veg. That just feels sustainable, especially if I just steam things from the freezer like broccoli and cauliflower.

Have you been yet Bootcamp? ;-)
Apr 2016
6:55pm, 7 Apr 2016
First-time poster!!
  •  
Tibu
Newbie that feels ancient! Well not quite new can shuffle down to my local back, round and back 5km in 42-44 minutes.
Apr 2016
7:13pm, 7 Apr 2016
2,140 posts
  •  
Corrah
Welcome to Fetch Tibu :) Nothing wrong with those times, that's where I started. Keep up the good work and let us know how you are getting on xx
Apr 2016
12:11am, 8 Apr 2016
139 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
Hi Tibu welcome to fetch. We're here to help and encourage, any questions just post and someone will answer. Look forward to hearing about your exploits here. 😀
Apr 2016
12:42pm, 8 Apr 2016
5,384 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
Hi Tibu, welcome - keep shuffling round that 5k and updating us on your progress, you'll find loads of support, advice and camaraderie here. (As well as the occasional completely bonkers threads too :-) )
May 2016
3:23pm, 22 May 2016
First-time poster!!
  •  
serasqueak
Hi all, I'm both beginner and not.

Done a few races but have always trained intermittently (due to laziness/procrastination/; injury/illness and OU study). My OU life ends very soon (re-sits pending) and I will therefore have a bit more time to focus on a more organised training life. At the moment I'm doing mainly treadmill trundling until my final essay is due, but I'm looking forward to getting a bit more varied scenery!
May 2016
5:57pm, 22 May 2016
14,236 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Welcome to Fetch Sera! Good luck with the re-sits and then you can look forward to getting out in the fresh air (so much nicer than treadmilling IMHO). There will be lots of people on Fetch to keep you motivated, give you any advice you might need and generally be a lot of fun!
May 2016
12:27am, 23 May 2016
155 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
Welcome sera, as LD says got any questions ask away, loads of knowledgeable Fetchies here (just don't ask about running ;-) ).

Just kidding.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
A thread for beginners to find support and encouragement. Join our beginners programme at:

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/beginners