Atrial Fibrilation

27 watchers
Feb 2023
7:51pm, 22 Feb 2023
31,061 posts
  •  
macca 53
I must just be relaxed and happy then - as a look on any of my training entries lately will show 🤞
Feb 2023
7:52pm, 22 Feb 2023
40,722 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
GregP if you are looking on your Garmin click help and it will give some information plus a link to more details
Feb 2023
7:58pm, 22 Feb 2023
143,527 posts
  •  
GregP
Thanks Pix. It just feels counter-intuitive to me that a low variability was a bad thing - and mine's very low (33).
Feb 2023
9:41am, 23 Feb 2023
31,064 posts
  •  
macca 53
GregP if you are looking on your Garmin click help and it will give some information plus a link to more details

Is that in the app Pix or just on a laptop or somewhere?
Feb 2023
9:45am, 23 Feb 2023
40,739 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
in the app
Feb 2023
9:47am, 23 Feb 2023
40,740 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
About Your HRV Status Reading
HRV status offers an indication of how your autonomic nervous system is reacting to your environment, both physically and psychologically. Balanced HRV readings may indicate positive signs of health such as good training and recovery balance, greater cardiovascular fitness and more resilience to stress. Unbalanced, low or poor readings may be a sign of fatigue, greater recovery needs or increased stress, among other factors.

While variations in day-to-day HRV readings are normal, having a stable, consistent 7-day HRV average is the key to maintaining a balanced HRV status. Small, gradual increases in HRV can also help you maintain a balanced status and may be a sign of improving fitness. HRV readings that increase or decrease rapidly may indicate that you are training too hard and can cause an unbalanced HRV status.

In some cases, HRV status can be improved over time by improving your training and recovery balance, getting regular exercise, eating a healthy diet, reducing stress and adopting other healthy habits. HRV values can vary widely based on gender, age, fitness level and even from person to person.

Learn More from Frontiers in Public Health .... ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Mar 2023
2:26pm, 7 Mar 2023
4,083 posts
  •  
Bob!
New Entry to the thread here.

For about ten months now, I've had an (initially intermittent) issue with my running. I do most of my running at a slow pace, usually around 130/135 bpm.

My HR in these runs would sometimes start going to, and staying at, 170/180/190 bpm. Initially this would happen on my runs for a week or two, and then my runs would go back to normal 130 bpm runs.

The high HR runs started to continue for a few weeks so I rested, on return I would come back at normal rates.

Went to Doc's (she even done the google calculation of Max HR, and decided that I shouldn't be allowing my HR to go above 220-63 = 157), booked and had an ECG and bloods. Nothing showing. Advised it was ok to continue running.

High HR then became more persistent, hitting 200 on a slow parkrun. Went back to Doc November) and got referred for a 24 hour monitor. Finally had the monitor fitted for 24 hours on Feb 6.

Results came back, appointment yesterday, ECG first then appointment.
24 hour monitor and ECG showing a Atrial Fibrulation and evidencing a 200bpm run during the 24 hour.

As of tonight when I collect my prescription am on a blood thinner to lower the risk of clotting from the AF, and a beta blocker to mange the High HR when excercising.

Would appreciate any advice from those of you manging this situation with running.
Mar 2023
3:18pm, 7 Mar 2023
31,101 posts
  •  
macca 53
Sorry to have you here Bob!

All the docs I have seen from GP through hospital consultants to Professor of Cardiology have advised me to run when I want to and as far and fast as I can (when I had episodes the pace I could run at was self-limiting). They have always told me to regard AF as being a potential limitation to my lifestyle rather than life threatening.

My symptoms have recently returned after a very long stable period following ablation so I might have to revise my comments after I see the doc next week!
Mar 2023
3:22pm, 7 Mar 2023
31,102 posts
  •  
macca 53
When I was first diagnosed I had a cocktail of
Warfarin (a bit old school nowadays I think)
Bisopralol (5mg a day)
Flecainide (twice a day but I can’t remember the dose off the top of my head)
Mar 2023
3:34pm, 7 Mar 2023
4,084 posts
  •  
Bob!
Thanks macca, sounded from the conversation that warfarin is rarely prescribed now.

I'll be on bisoprolol and edoxaban.

About This Thread

Maintained by Da Big Guy
Anyone had atrial fibrilation? How bad, How often, how long does it take to go, what causes it for y...