The sub 3.30 marathon thread

188 watchers
Apr 2017
3:39pm, 26 Apr 2017
1,008 posts
  •  
Uyuni
Tough being one of the last down the start ramp Claypole. Have you started winding it down yet? Going by your log there's still plenty of running, but nothing too demanding.

Is this your first marathon? The recent HM should give you plenty of confidence, have you got a pace plan yet or waiting for conditions on the day?
Apr 2017
3:45pm, 26 Apr 2017
199 posts
  •  
Claypole
Hey Uyuni.

Yep started to wind down a little now, and yes first marathon.
Have been nervously watching the long range forecast predict warm temps so might have to do some kind of rain dance to change that I think!

Pace wise - been quite humbled reading how tough the last 6 miles or so have been for everyone on this thread so plan to start out conservative and then give some welly after 13-16 miles if I have anything left at that point.

Seems there is so much that can either go your way or against it on the day eh?

You planning an attack on the 5k - half distance races for a bit now then?
Bet you'll do some damage to your PB times after all the long runs you've done in marathon prep :-)
Apr 2017
3:56pm, 26 Apr 2017
1,009 posts
  •  
Uyuni
There's been some good pacing chat on the 3:15 thread today so maybe have a read of that - lots of different opinions though so it might not help :-)

In general though your plan sounds good. What counts as "conservative" though very much depends on the conditions. I, and the people who did Manchester got very lucky, those doing Paris/Brighton much less so, with London/Southampton about in the middle.

Try to prepare, mentally at least for every eventuality - you obviously can't control the weather but you can control how you go about the race - Hunts' blog was a good example of taking control rather than cracking on regardless until inevitable disaster (hello Manchester 2016 for me!).

With your recent mileage and good HM time though you are in a great place to take advantage if conditions are good, or still run a great race, albeit a bit slower, if not
Apr 2017
3:59pm, 26 Apr 2017
1,010 posts
  •  
Uyuni
Yes to cracking on with the short stuff. Marathon training really helps at our level as it generally involves running much more miles than previous. One thing to watch though is the recovery afterwards. After my first couple of marathons I was totally wiped out for a month or so afterwards so couldn't really take advantage. That has improved though, and this time round I'm well up for attacking some 5ks :-)
Apr 2017
4:01pm, 26 Apr 2017
212 posts
  •  
Oscar the grouch
13-16 sounds a bit early to push on to me... having said that I have started fading as early as 11 miles in the past so why not the opposite!
Apr 2017
4:04pm, 26 Apr 2017
213 posts
  •  
Oscar the grouch
I guess my point is, I have felt fine at 13-16, but by 18-20 struggled with the same pace. If you can hold pace to 22-23 THEN if you have anything other than just getting home thoughts, that would be the time to push on!
Apr 2017
4:04pm, 26 Apr 2017
12,061 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
Keep your powder dry until mile twenty as that is only halfway.
Apr 2017
4:27pm, 26 Apr 2017
5,311 posts
  •  
Huntsman
I pushed on from mile 20 on Sunday and run pretty much exactly the same pace :-)
Apr 2017
4:28pm, 26 Apr 2017
200 posts
  •  
Claypole
Thanks for all your input Uyuni and cheers for the tips chaps :-)
Apr 2017
4:40pm, 26 Apr 2017
10,934 posts
  •  
paul a
If you can, hook up with an experienced pacer then you just have to run and not worry about splits. Even in races without official pacers then is usually someone to ask, just make sure he/she knows what they are doing.

About This Thread

PLEASE FMAIL ME DIRECTLY WITH AN UPCOMING SUB 3:30 ATTEMPT and/or LAST YEAR'S SUCCESSES.

2024 achievers:

SailorSteve - London - 21st April - 3:17:08 SB
auburnette - London - 21st April - 3:28:47 PB
Tipsku - Leipzig, Germany - 21st April - 3:27:26 PB
Mark J - Christchurch, New Zealand - 21st April - 3:12:24 PB

2024 Sub 3:30 Attempts:

April 28th - Newport - Oscar the Grouch (RIP) :(
May 6th - Milton Keynes - Totodave
May 12th - Regensburg, Germany - ptr_runner
May 26th - Edinburgh - SailorSteve
Nov 3rd - Istanbul, Turkey - SailorSteve
Nov 23/24 - Cleethorpes Maravan - Riggys99