The Sub 3:15 Marathon Thread

330 watchers
Jul 2015
9:37pm, 26 Jul 2015
2,650 posts
  •  
STOOSH
Think my 16 today come in around 7.56pace although my run involved 262mtrs of ascent and needed an easier run after 4 hard sessions this week. Legs were feeling a bit sorry for themselves today from the off so canned the idea of 23miles.
Bumped into tizer after 10.5m so about turned and had a nice easy 5-6m downhill and flat with him.

baz - get to Falkirk and sample heartbreak hill... It'll toughen you up;-)
Jul 2015
10:46am, 27 Jul 2015
842 posts
  •  
dan.
Good parkrunning Baz and Lou, and great training runs WW and Stoosh

Had a great weekend at the Thunder Run. Did 13 10K loops and my partner did the same so we got on the podium as 2nd place male pair :-)
Jul 2015
3:21pm, 27 Jul 2015
4,969 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Nice work dan. You need to make an effort to keep your training log up to date though, I was hoping for a short cut to converting 13 x 10km in to miles. Pretty close to 80m? Good day's training ;-)

Welcome gooders_gold. Run more, swim/bike less - if being the best runner you can is the goal. Your long run, tempo run, and hills/speed run in a week sound fine, but you'll be a much better marathoner if you also doing 3 x easy runs in the week mixed in with them. Those 20-25 extra miles every week will make a big difference.

postie - from a few days back - you're obviously not a close follower of Marigolds training and blogs. He's often running crazy long and/or fast around tiny loops. I'm lucky to live at the coast, so finding flat routes is easy. But it just means you have even higher expectations of 'flat' - I avoid routes where there's even 10m elevation change over the course of a mile if I'm doing tempo or mile reps...

I'm on the very long, very slow, comeback trail. A couple of 20m weeks under the belt, doing 4-5m at between 9:30 and 10 m/m (because that's what the HRM says, and I'm not inclined to disagree - I'm seriously unfit). Can't say it's enjoyable, but hopefully it will be once the fitness comes back. And outside of running I'm feeling fine again, I think. Which is far more important.
Jul 2015
3:28pm, 27 Jul 2015
24,805 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Great news Paul. Take it easy on the return. Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey (or insert time/goal/nemesis of your choice in here!)

My new goal (official, cos I wrote it in my Fetch goals) is 78% WAVA. This is 1:23:04 half, 38:07 10k and 18:19 5k (any maybe 5:16 mile too). I'm giving myself a year! (Btw the equiv for the marathon is 2:52 - marathons are hard!) :-) G
Jul 2015
4:57pm, 27 Jul 2015
2,651 posts
  •  
STOOSH
Great running Dan - don't think i'll get anywhere near that milage at G24. Hope you've managed a few beers to celebrate the podium finish:)

ptb - i've been stalking your training lately ;-), Nice to see you getting out most days even if not the sort of milage your used to but it'll come with time.

:)G - i don't see you having to much of a problem achieving your wava goal over the year, staying injury free will have you knocking in a couple of these before the end of the year:)

I'm still enjoying my year of having NO goals or as lou calls it "pissing about" :-o .. I've got a busy couple of months towards the end of the year with races but having no expectation other than to enjoy them.
A nice easy 10m with 255mtrs of ascent today in the rain - doesn't get much better than this:)
Jul 2015
6:00pm, 27 Jul 2015
8,776 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
G, in a year you will have passed a birthday and the times required will be a bit easier ;-)

dan, great effort.....well do ne

PtB, probably the best news of the thread that you are on the mend and glad the HR is guiding your return

I had another day in A&E yesterday, but with my MiL this time.
Jul 2015
7:02pm, 27 Jul 2015
2,615 posts
  •  
postieboy
I've shown my ignorance of the finer details of other people's training haven't I? I could have learned so much more by looking more closely at how people go about their business over the years. Better late than never though, it will be my turn to get dizzy from tomorrow onwards with a few short out and back flat miles to make up the LT section of my run.
Jul 2015
8:22pm, 27 Jul 2015
17,913 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Did a race at the weekend and finally feeling like a runner again!

Good to see you are getting back to it PtB, although my 'out' was shorter than yours, my experience was that once I got to 30mpw then things started to feel much easier.

If we are on other/core training then I can recommend kettlebells. Dirt cheap to buy, very easy to learn (lots of vids on youtube) and a good combination of strengthening, conditioning and core work. Also seem to help with flexibility too as a lot of the exercises force a degree of stretching.
Jul 2015
8:35pm, 27 Jul 2015
14 posts
  •  
gooders_gold
Evening all,

broke the long run up in to 7 x 10KM hilly repeats with 4hr rests in between them over 24 hrs. The epicene of Thunder Run! Saw a couple of Fetch Shirts in the distance but not close enough to interact with.

Thanks for the welcome and advice paul, much appreciated, maybe I'll just pretend to go out on the bike to justify the spend to the missus ;)

Started reading P & D, really interesting stuff so far :)
Jul 2015
9:36pm, 27 Jul 2015
1,961 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
PtB - I have been stalking your training too. I know you are a patient man but blimey, your willingness to go out and run at 10 min/mile must be some kind of record. Good to see you back but don't you ever just burst to go out for a thrash round the block?!

Dan - awesome. 130km. Gosh.

JO - noticed your little race too. Wow!

G - my WAVA is creeping up slowly. It's certainly much easier to get older than faster :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
For those who want to go sub 3.15 in a marathon and/or those that have already done it and want to give advice. Share your journey or help someone else's! here.

2024 achievers:
Akie: 3:15 @ Rotterdam
allmatthew: 3:09 @ Manchester
Mark J: 3:12 @ Christchurch NZ
PJH92: 3:13 @ London

2024 declarations:
Boston UK 28/4: SJA
Copenhagen 5/5: bowman
Amsterdam 20/10: charlesvdw