Sub 80 min Half Marathon Support

57 watchers
J2R
Apr 2017
6:55pm, 9 Apr 2017
372 posts
  •  
J2R
Well, I fell laughably short, I'm afraid. Ran a time of 1:23:17. I could probably have knocked a minute or so off that but I lost motivation once I realised a seriously good time was not viable, and that I could take my foot off the pedal a little and still win the age group prize. But it was my highest ever placing in this race (15th out of 2000+ finishers, with many having dropped out), so that was some consolation. It was just wickedly warm for an April day, probably 20C or so later on in the race, and full-on sunshine without cover - which is fine in June or July when you've had a chance to acclimatise, but not out of the blue like today.

Most times seem to have been affected quite a bit - even among the fast guys, times were 3-4 minutes down, from people I spoke to. So maybe I shouldn't be too discouraged. Next HM attempt will be September. Time to switch to other distances for the meantime.
Apr 2017
8:43pm, 9 Apr 2017
60,384 posts
  •  
Gobi
Ouch

I was 17th overall and 3rd V45 at the National Duathlon Age Group Championship and it was warm when we started at 8am and lovely at 10am :¬)
J2R
Apr 2017
9:18pm, 9 Apr 2017
373 posts
  •  
J2R
Good going, Gobi! That's an impressive achievement. I'd have paid good money for your early start...
Apr 2017
11:04pm, 9 Apr 2017
60,387 posts
  •  
Gobi
Must admit I like the heat, I find humidity can be an issue more
J2R
Apr 2017
9:31am, 10 Apr 2017
374 posts
  •  
J2R
Yes, humidity's a real performance-killer for me, too. I did a series of 3 summer evening 10K races a couple of years ago, and for the third one it was a very humid evening and my time was 2 minutes down on the other two races.
Apr 2017
10:20am, 10 Apr 2017
60,392 posts
  •  
Gobi
ouch !! I usually do the Yateley series
J2R
Apr 2017
11:02am, 10 Apr 2017
375 posts
  •  
J2R
Perhaps surprisingly, there were some positives from yesterday. Before the heat started to build, I felt really fit and strong and well tapered, and felt that if it had been a 10K I'd have stood a good chance of running a PB time. Over a longer distance, though, with steadily climbing temperature and no shade, I started to wilt. I did come in a few seconds behind someone who ran 72 minutes last year, though, which gives some indication of how much times were affected.
J2R
Apr 2018
9:57am, 9 Apr 2018
1,132 posts
  •  
J2R
Well, back for another go. It's a week to go now to the HM. So what do you fast guys do in the final week before a target HM?
Apr 2018
10:52am, 9 Apr 2018
63,642 posts
  •  
Gobi
5km a week before

easy Monday
7 miles either progressive or with 2/4/6 @10km pace tuesday
5 wed easy
3 thursday with one at hmp
rest friday
3 easy sat (I like to run the day before)
race

my own season has been dented(excuse cut and paste)

I was involved in a race crash on Saturday, chap went down in front of me and I hit him at 25/30mph. I have a broken collarbone and elbow. Internal bruising and a lot of rib pain. Donated a lot of skin. Turns out this crash has found I have a c5 or 6 spine compression(old news it seems) but added to my L4/5 it is another bitter pill to swallow.
Helmet worked as I didn't know I had landed on my head, did pass out.
I was in hospital for 8hours with spleen concerns as I had abdominal pain.

Pretty messed up, need to see a consultant again but right now my season is over, holiday is cancelled but I'm ok.

Largely :-)

ps. bike has some damage, largely looks fine but I am not well enough to give it a thorough check
J2R
Apr 2018
10:59am, 9 Apr 2018
1,135 posts
  •  
J2R
Thanks, Gobi. (Responded to your crash report over in the other thread).

What does "7 miles either progressive or with 2/4/6 @10km pace tuesday" mean? Not sure about the 2/4/6. I did a good session on Saturday, where I ran 3 reps of 8 minutes at between 10K and half marathon pace, and then finished with a flat-out mile (I would normally do 4 x 8 but decided to do the mile as part of a little club competition we have each month).

About This Thread

Maintained by James74
As it says, training advice and genral chat to help get faster HM times...........