The Passion - Book Group Discussion thread

7 watchers
Dec 2016
9:11pm, 17 Dec 2016
11,983 posts
  •  
Columba
No.

Didn't like it. It never gripped me, couldn't bring myself to care about the characters or what happened to them.

And I agree with everything McG says in his last-but-one paragraph.
Dec 2016
10:37pm, 17 Dec 2016
3,859 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
What I enjoyed about The Passion was less about the story and the characters than the framework that they gave to examine bigger themes such as love, passion, obsession.

I was struck by the section in The Zero Winter, talking about soldiers as heartless men. And there were beautiful descriptions of darkness, and a line, which of course, now I can't find, that captured the essence of depressesion, something about being closed in.

In the final chapter, I thought the thoughts on the impossibility of choice when you find passion late in life, were acute and powerful.

I'm really glad I read it and I think it was a good choice of something that I wouldn't necessarily have picked up. It's also been a wonderful contrast to the much more grounded in real life The Outrun, that I'm reading now.
Dec 2016
8:51am, 22 Dec 2016
13,980 posts
  •  
Dr TinselD
I'd read it before, when I was a lot younger and more tolerant...
I hated the first part: too much description, wandering prose. I liked part two but I am a bit of a sucker for MR and really liked the character. I enjoyed the book then to the end. Like The Scribbler, I liked some of her thoughts on bigger themes. The passages about the nine nights and the feelings when your passion is impossible, I thought, were beautiful and evocative.

Thanks for choosing, Daz.
Dec 2016
6:44pm, 25 Dec 2016
26,824 posts
  •  
Night-owl
I loved it definitely by the end wouldn't have picked this book myself but glad I did read it

Found it moving and the words flowed. She certainly had a way with words. Felt sad at the end yes I'm a romantic this is different to being into romance. Not every story has a happy ending

Thank you Daz
Dec 2016
3:44pm, 31 Dec 2016
7,104 posts
  •  
Seven Little Nemos a-swimming
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book as I have read 2 books by the author before. I loved Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit but didn't enjoy Sexing The Cherry much at all. This was a more straightforward read so it was more to my taste. I enjoyed Henri's sections more, I found they had more story to them and I loved the idea of someone employed just to cook Napoleon's chickens! I could feel the cold of the Russian campaign.

The Venetian sections were slightly odder and I found the abrupt change when it got to the second part hard to get used to. They were still good but I wan't quite as interested in that side of the story.

There was a lot of unrealistic things in the book but they didn't jar too much as it was beautifully written in parts.

I gave this book a 7
Dec 2016
3:56pm, 31 Dec 2016
7,105 posts
  •  
Seven Little Nemos a-swimming
Having read all the comments now it's interesting to see people's views on Magic Realism. It's something I tend to hate (I really struggled with Midnight's Children and I LOATHE The House of Spirits) so I guess the reason I could put up with the hints of it in this book are because it was MR-lite.

I liked the "You Play..." quotes. If you're a gambler this seems an apt summing up of your attitude to life. Like the way Napoleon needed to keep fighting even while he was losing.

And I forgot to say thanks to Daz for choosing it :-) I may give some more of her books a go.
Dec 2016
5:21pm, 31 Dec 2016
12,055 posts
  •  
Columba
I must say I liked Midnight's Children, but perhaps only in the way I like Salvador Dali. Captivating, but ultimately sterile.
Dec 2016
11:07pm, 31 Dec 2016
1,770 posts
  •  
DazTheSlug
I'm glad my choice seemed to go down OK (mostly 7's and 8's in the voting)
I really loved it - it's the sort of book I can imagine I will re-read many times in the future

Nemo - I DNF'd House Of The Spirits - good to hear I'm not on my own with that one

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
This here is a thread for the discussioning of Jeanette Winterson's third novel The Passion as chosen by Daz the Slug as the December 2016 book.

Here's a poll:
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=5641