Email Password Forgot? | Register

The 5:2 diet

0 lurkers | 90 watchers
1:03pm, 19 Oct 2015
7486 posts
I don't train on fast days, apart from an hour of Pilates which doesn't use many calories, or sometimes just a short, easy run. I did once do a club speed session on the evening of a fasting day, and it was hell! Felt weak, couldn't keep up the necessary pace and actually ended up feeling a bit dizzy - I learned my lesson and wouldn't make that mistake again.
1:11pm, 19 Oct 2015
2618 posts
That what Im afraid of Schnecke. Also, Im all for this 5:2 but not at the expense of training or just general sensibleness. (is that a word?:-))
1:16pm, 19 Oct 2015
7487 posts
I admit it's a bit easier for me to schedule things these days, as I only do 6:1!
2:01pm, 19 Oct 2015
25321 posts
I exercise on fasting days. Don't find it a problem. I cycled 35 miles last week on a fasting day, and I've run 4.7 miles today, which is also a fasting day.
2:25pm, 19 Oct 2015
5558 posts
I think you're suppose to schedule your calories into your exercise - So you eat either before or just after to stop you feeling completely drained.

I run on the morning after a fast day before I have breakfast - it usually feels pretty rotten to be honest but it makes brekkie taste ace :-)

Couldn't imagine playing football on a fast day though...........
2:32pm, 19 Oct 2015
193 posts
I would exercise on a fast day if I couldn't get round it - found if I had a small snack, like some fruit, and made sure I was properly hydrated before and throughout, it was fine. Everyone's different though, so you won't know until you give it a go! :-)
5:00pm, 19 Oct 2015
7488 posts
I think moderate exercise on a fast day is fine - I just wouldn't do anything too challenging, like intervals or similar, as I find that's just too hard for me, but others may not have a problem with it. You just have to see what works best for you.
5:19pm, 20 Oct 2015
4002 posts
If I ran more than about three miles I would eat a quarter of the calories as a top up. If I swim or walk I don't bother.
8:57am, 2 Nov 2015
203 posts
I reckon I'll be back on this in a few weeks time - big race this weekend, then will give myself a week or two to relax after it (and eat, and drink mucho!). But then I think I need to get back on it - certainly nowhere near what I was at this time last year, but just getting to that 'flabby feeling' stage!
6:21pm, 2 Nov 2015
7495 posts
I had a week off fasting after my marathon, but back on 6:1 again now - tonight I have a club committee meeting and there will almost certainly be cake, so I'll need to be strong as I'm on a fast day today!
Like this page? Share it on Facebook:

Join Us Now!

Fetcheveryone is a free website for runners, bikers, swimmers, triathletes, and outdoorsy types.

We have an epic training log, more event listings than any site we know of, and supportive community that will help you achieve your goals. And in case you've forgotten already, it's free!

Pic: Getty / Paul Bradbury

Help Fetcheveryone!

Use our Amazon Link whenever you're planning to shop, and we get a small percentage of what you spend. Thank you lovelies!

About This Thread

Anyone want to try it with me?

Info - Link (roll over me to see where I go)

5 days of 'normal' eating and 2 days eating 600 calories (men), 500 calories (women).
Fast days are best not done on consecutive days, unless you have amazing willpower.

Helpful links-

Link (roll over me to see where I go)

Link (roll over me to see where I go)