Email Password Forgot? | Register

Bike maintenance for dummies.

0 lurkers | 73 watchers
6:57pm, 26 Jun 2015
3844 posts
Hmmmm. I wonder if I'm guilty of some colossal stupidity here? The edges of those "broken" teeth are very sharp. Please send me that picture!!
7:20pm, 26 Jun 2015
19926 posts
I'm sending them to your FB account :-)
2:22pm, 2 Jul 2015
1645 posts
Campagnolo alert!

Just changed chain with a buddy using a standard chain tool. Boy was it a faff! Have looked on wiggle for the proper tool and it £80-odd on wiggle. For something I might use once a year (now i know how!)

Any massive pitfalls in using a standard tool, apart from it being fiddly?
5:49pm, 2 Jul 2015
1407 posts

What bit was fiddly? Did you use a powerlink type link to join the chain?

I have Campag on my road bike and just a basic chain tool; never had any problems. I use the KMC link thing to rejoin the chain. Am I missing something (or have I been doing it wrong)?
5:59pm, 2 Jul 2015
1646 posts
The chain came with a hollow link and a pin thiny to guide it in. That was less than a milimeter the wrong size for the tool so kept going slightly wonky pushing it back in...

What's a KMC Link thing? do you mean I can use this instead of the campag linky hollow pin thing?
Link (roll over me to see where I go)
6:14pm, 2 Jul 2015
1408 posts

That's what I use. Think there is an 11 speed version too, if you have 11-speed, obviously.

I like to have a couple with me whenever I go out, and a simple chain breaking tool, so I can make some sort of repair to a badly mangled chain as quickly as possible. As far as I remember the bike came with one fitted.

I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will come along in a moment and explain in detail...
6:22pm, 2 Jul 2015
18438 posts
They are much easier and actually stronger than pissing about with pins. And despite what They Say, cross compatibility is fine.
7:12pm, 2 Jul 2015
1647 posts
Great, thanks chaps, that saves money and bother!
Like this page? Share it on Facebook:

Join Us Now!

Fetcheveryone is a free website for runners, bikers, swimmers, triathletes, and outdoorsy types.

We have an epic training log, more event listings than any site we know of, and supportive community that will help you achieve your goals. And in case you've forgotten already, it's free!

Pic: Getty / Paul Bradbury

Fetch Gets Mobile!

Take us wherever you go! Click here to read the article!

About This Thread

A thread for your questions about fixing common bike problems.

Need help naming a part? Link (roll over me to see where I go)
Tags
#bike

Close