Sub 3Hr Marathon

3 lurkers | 299 watchers
Jul 2008
9:32pm, 19 Jul 2008
First-time poster!!
  •  
Kevski
Hi,

I'm aiming for sub 3 in Berlin to- going out with 10 of us from Cambridge Harriers, two of which will be well under 3 hours.

You have good times already, you've got the milage nailed in your training so just get the pacing right and you'll be good for sub 3.

Christie is right, I'm looking at Berlin in the same way she suggested, 24 x 6.50's then push from there over the two miles.

Good luck, feel free if you want to share training and race stories.
Jul 2008
11:17pm, 23 Jul 2008
29 posts
  •  
AlanO
Just bringing this back to the top. Thanks for all the earlier responses.

Changing my training approach for this marathon. For the first 3 attempts (the last being 2005) I continued with my normal training which included at least 2 quality interval sessions per week. Although in each of my 1st 3 attempts I tired over the final 6-8 miles.

For this reason I am skipping the interval sessions in the main and instead will through in a weekly Half Marathon paced tempo run for anything between 45-60 minutes (until it becomes bearable). I've also got 2 10kms and 2xHalf Marathons pencilled in which will be used mainly as a speed session.

The other major change is that I will be throwing in a lot more runs over the 1hr mark. In my previous schedules I would have the traditional Sunday long run with 1 other run over the hour per week. This time round I'll be looking to do at least 2 if not 3 runs per week over the hour in the hope that it improves my overall endurance for when the marathon starts at the 20mile mark.

Any views. Feel free to slaughter me.
Jul 2008
11:21pm, 23 Jul 2008
14,096 posts
  •  
mxhornet
I find what most people fall down on is not enough long enough long runs ie I'd look to to 6 to 8 22+ milers in the 12 to 16 weeks leading up to the marathon to get yourself used to the time on your feet expected during the race.
JEJ
Jul 2008
11:23am, 24 Jul 2008
781 posts
  •  
JEJ
Sounds like a sensible approach. I feel that for longer distances (fast) intervals are overated. Perhaps a light 'session' of 5 x ~150m relaxed strides during an easy run would help keep the fast twitch fibres happy. Alternatively I know of a rather successful marathoner who favours hill sprints for the same purpose - see http://adrianmarriott.blogspot.com/2008/05/canova-hill-sprints.html... shortly after that post he ran a big 10,000m pb and is now confident of an autumn marathon PB.

The 45 - 60min @ HM pace sounds tough.. I simply couldn't do it in regular training but accept that others must be more motivated and able to push themselves. Just be careful that you're not pushing too the point of soreness and eat well afterwards to restock energy reserves. Also consider that in the heat your body may be working harder than threshold to maintain usual threshold pace

I'd also look to run for 3 hours on one or two occasions. For confidence as much as anything else. You can stop at 3:00 and think 'this is the longest duration I'll have to run for this year'. Several moons ago, I'd ran 3:13ish in London and entered Berlin for a sub 3. I was decieved into a 27.5 mile run (about 3hr25 from memory) on a very hot morning. With a hang-over and no water too! Strangely I completed the run and managed a 10km pb the following day. After that weekend I knew that sub 3 would be a doddle.

Also, don't expect to run super-well in your build-up races. Any good times are a bonus.
Jul 2008
2:09pm, 24 Jul 2008
30 posts
  •  
AlanO
Thanks mxhornet and JEJ.

I thinking along the same line, ie. more 22+ mile runs and also a 3hr+ timed run before the event. As I said previously all my previous attempts have fell short due to endurance or speed endurance.

Furthermore my PBs at lower distance don't tie in with my marathon so I can only put that down to my endurance which is why I'm making that my main target before the Berlin attempt.

Lastly, I've been a serious runner now for 10yrs and have tried most of the fads. Its been a while since I've used energy drinks or gels and I'm thinking of giving them a go again. Any views or suggestions on which one to go with.
Jul 2008
2:13pm, 24 Jul 2008
1,068 posts
  •  
paul a
SiS Go gels work for me, drinks very much a personal choice but I use either SiS PSP22 or Gatorade.
Good luck Twopies, it looks like we are on a similar mission :-)
Jul 2008
1:07pm, 27 Jul 2008
35 posts
  •  
AlanO
Thats the 1st of the long runs in the bag. 16miles in 1h58m, running comfortably.
Tried an SIS Go gel (tropical) and found it okay.
Jul 2008
1:22pm, 27 Jul 2008
1,075 posts
  •  
paul a
Nice one Twopies, sounds like a good run.
Jul 2008
2:37pm, 27 Jul 2008
48 posts
  •  
Fast&Furious
Best advice I can give is just loads of slow miles. I found that doing 70-80 per week especially in the 12-16 weeks before hand really helped me over the last 6-8 miles in both London and Ediinburgh.

My training schedule was long run Saturday, recovery on Sunday then a number of easy runs during the week with Tuesday evening track session. Most miles should be slower than race pace, it's just a matter of getting your legs used to the mileage and running while your legs are tired.

Your 5k and 10k PBs are similar to mine and you have youth on your side so you should be a dead cert for sub 3 hours. Good luck.
Jul 2008
3:13pm, 27 Jul 2008
7,489 posts
  •  
Dave A
I found that doing some PMP during my long run didn't do any harm. I used to throw mine in between mile 12-18, to see how it felt. I did long runs carrying a camalbak, so when it came to race day, with rivals, adrenalin, less weight to carry and being freshly tapered, it made it a lot easier.

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
All about hitting the magic 2:xx:yy!
Targets 2024
======
28 April
Newport
Miser 2:45
Boston (Lincs)
Brunski 2:55
======
Results 2024
bunting
medal medal medal medal medal
18 Feb Seville
mattykay 2.58.32
14 April Rotterdam
jomo_richmond 2:43:18
21 April London
Chris 2:39:16
Alun 2:59:28
medal medal medal medal medal
bunting

=====================
Current (2018) thread owner jda, if I go awol then someone else should feel free to take over...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.