Heathen unbelievers - BBQ here

64 watchers
May 2013
9:03pm, 30 May 2013
25,215 posts
  •  
Nellers
I listen to Just Skeptics, Skeptics with a K, Skeptoid, The Pod Delusion and Be Reasonable. Never heard of Atheist Experience but if it's just laughing at dumb misguided folks making fools of themselves I think I'll give it a miss.
May 2013
9:05pm, 30 May 2013
18,215 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
They can't even spell sceptic!
May 2013
9:06pm, 30 May 2013
19,708 posts
  •  
ogee
I'm in. Just call me a Slackapostaphobe

urbandictionary.com
May 2013
9:08pm, 30 May 2013
13,575 posts
  •  
Stander
I always say "thank fucking god" every time I cross the finish line of a marathon.
Am I on the wrong thread?
May 2013
9:09pm, 30 May 2013
6,490 posts
  •  
Oysterboy
Nah it's not that at all. The hosts are really respectful and just debate with them.
I like this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUOg5F886xw
May 2013
9:13pm, 30 May 2013
25,216 posts
  •  
Nellers
I found that in the atheist/skeptic podcasting world US podcasts are mainly atheist and UK podcasts are far more general skepticism.

I guess it's a function of the US being more overtly religious. If you are atheist in the US you feel more need for a strength in numbers support network. In the UK not believing isn't really an issue, is it? Not in most aspects of everyday life.

Most of the UK podcasts are mythbusting and dealing with homeopathy and quack medicine and conspiracy theories.

Oh that's another one for the list: The Conspiracy Skeptic.
May 2013
9:20pm, 30 May 2013
6,491 posts
  •  
Oysterboy
It's really different in America. People have to Come Out as atheists and are ostracised because of it. I find how religious most of the US still are completely inexplicable.
May 2013
9:21pm, 30 May 2013
859 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Actually the word "Heathen" is probably not the best description of those posting (Based on the comments being made). A heathen is someone who doesn't adhere to a major religion (ie Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism). It doesn't necessarily mean you don't believe in a "God(s)". For example you could be a Pagan and be regarded in the strict sense of the definition as a Heathen.

I suspect that most posting on this thread have it "in" for Christianity (or more precisely the "organised" Christian church) so to speak so would be better described as "Secular non Christians" Not quite as catchy I know....
May 2013
9:25pm, 30 May 2013
7,030 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
I'm not anti Christian, nor anti religion for that matter. But I would describe myself as Agnostic. I don't mind others beliefs - I'd just rather they kept them to theirselves, and just tried to live a 'good' life rather than trying to impress doctrine on others' lives...
May 2013
9:26pm, 30 May 2013
7,760 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
OB. Until you've had the religious chat with Rapture Evangelicals in Alabama, you really wouldn't believe it! I found it incredible how some people I worked with out there, who did really complex technical jobs requiring heavy critical thinking and logical analysis could compartmentalise their minds the way they did with regards to their work lives and their religious lives. It wasn't that these people were all brainwashed mindless rednecks. (Huntsville) Alabama has the highest proportion of graduates per head of population in the US and is the centre of a lot of defence engineering!

About This Thread

Maintained by Dooogs
Given the amount of posters on the God Botherers thread, I might be in here by myself...

(please ...