Half Marathon Advice

7 watchers
Feb 2020
9:30pm, 13 Feb 2020
7,973 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Welcome! A half marathon is pretty achievable for most people. Just get round and enjoy yourself. You'll be fine. Set off slowly and slow down. LOL! I wouldn't say the same about a full marathon. You would really not enjoy 26 miles after just three months of preparation. I did my first marathon aged 26 and it took me another 26 years to get over the memory enough to try again. But 13 is manageable. Enjoy!
Feb 2020
2:22pm, 16 Feb 2020
11,934 posts
  •  
Garfield
Start off at a slow pace and as the miles tick on, and if you're still feeling comfortable (after say 8-9 miles) then speed up. There's nothing worse than starting off hard and dying off when you don't have longer runs in your legs...or if you're charting unknown territory distance-wise.

Big thing - enjoy yourself and give yourself a huge pat on the back when you've finished it! :)
Feb 2020
3:50pm, 16 Feb 2020
32,462 posts
  •  
DocM
my son (17) did his first half last autumn, he kept it nice and slow to see how it felt to do that distance. The next one (just a few weeks later) he then knew how to to tackle it so was able to take it faster. Take it gently. you will always enjoy your first one as it is a great achievement

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by NLR0240
Hi Everyone, I have entered a half marathon for March 29th, I am 6 weeks into training and am now wo...