Bike maintenance for dummies.

101 watchers
May 2017
2:30pm, 30 May 2017
889 posts
  •  
mbln
Agree they are good bikes, but similar to Islabikes, the cost inflation once they get a decent reputation is scary.
Jul 2017
9:29pm, 7 Jul 2017
10,675 posts
  •  
richmac
Get the kettle on, pull up a chair this is going to be a bit of a debate i fear....

Shooooo....

I got given 4 wheels yesterday. 3 fronts and a 9 spd rear.

One of the fronts is brand new unused. Can have a tyre wanged straight on and become a winter wheel or a OMFG I've broken my wheel wheel its not a deep rim so more of a commute job.

2nd best one could be quite happily used as a winter wheel a well, has quite a nice deep rim so could be a training or race wheel with a bit of cleaning.

3rd front, braking surface is cattle trucked but hub/spokes A1. Could bin it or get super deep rim and have a nice wheel made, or buy a cheap rim and try making a wheel myself (good luck with that).

But my real conundrum is thus. The rear wheel. the brake surface isn't great but again hub/spokes are ace.

So what to do with it ? my turbo mule is a 7 speed. so if, and I have a line on one, get 9 spd shifter (either STi or thumb) I could stick it on the turbo bike as an 'upgrade' then I could forget about the brake surface and just use the thing. if the back mech could cope and the frame could take it.

Or :-) ,that should be my Cheshire cat grin

if it is easy enough to stick a 10 spd cassette on it I could do 1 of the following

Use the rim off the second best front wheel to make it a credible winter/b spec wheel.

Or

Buy 2 nice rims to make into a pair of V. nice wheels that are as good as or better than what I'm running now (on either bike)

The advantage of this is that I could have an actual tyre choice. I'm pretty much what I turn up with is what i race on unless I take the wheels out of the other bike and bring them along which is arse.

It would be nice to have the luxury of a set of wheels with slicks, race in mixed conditions tyres and train all year never puncture tyres.

I'll try to provide any technical info from the hubs to decide if the rear can take a 10 spd

Over to the panel, dont let me down ;-)
Jul 2017
9:41pm, 8 Jul 2017
18,756 posts
  •  
Stepford Wife
You could stick it on the turbo with a 7 speed cassette as an upgrade and not have to bother with the shifter.

If it'll take a 9 speed cassette it'll take a 10. 11 is where it becomes an issue.

I'd only bother rebuilding on to the hubs if they are really nice. Rebuilding isn't a cheap option. What are the hubs?
Jul 2017
4:03pm, 9 Jul 2017
10,685 posts
  •  
richmac
Thanks, I'll check the hubs tonight (unless I get hammered) and let you know.

er how can you tell what the hub is ? am I relying on obvious stickers etc or is there a secret mark I don' know about ?
Jul 2017
7:39pm, 9 Jul 2017
18,757 posts
  •  
Stepford Wife
No, just obvious stickers. As a rule of thumb if they aren't marked they aren't worth rebuilding. Generic hubs are never exciting and are a bugger to get spares for.
Jul 2017
10:24pm, 11 Jul 2017
10,691 posts
  •  
richmac
I have looked at hubs, inbetween other stuff. The rear one that I want to have rebuilt to make a half decent winter pair of wheels the hub is a Shimano WH RS20.

worth rebuilding to a winter wheel or sling on the turbo ?
Jul 2017
9:06am, 13 Jul 2017
18,758 posts
  •  
Stepford Wife
In this country with its delightful weather I'm not a big fan of Shimano hubs because they are still cup and cone so if the bearing race gets worn it'll sound grumbly even with new bearings. I'd much rather have a cartridge bearing'd wheel as it is almost impossible to knacker the bearing races no matter how shagged the bearings get. It'll be absolutely fine if you keep totally on top of maintenance - I believe there are some people out there like this, but I never mend their wheels ;-)

If it were mine I'd be bunging it on the turbo
Jul 2017
3:01pm, 13 Jul 2017
10,695 posts
  •  
richmac
Thanks, Stepford.

Next Q!

The 9 speed shifter I've been offered is Campag (or a non branded version thereof) would that work with a Shimano mech and cassette ?
Jul 2017
8:34pm, 13 Jul 2017
18,760 posts
  •  
Stepford Wife
Possibly. By all accounts getting a Campy shifter to work with Shimano bits is ok and is known as a Shimergo. There's some (mind-blowingly mathematical) stuff here blog.artscyclery.com
Jul 2017
10:14pm, 13 Jul 2017
2,357 posts
  •  
larkim
Is there such a thing as a non branded Campag?

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
A thread for your questions about fixing common bike problems.

Need help naming a part? jimlangley.net