Atrial Fibrilation

27 watchers
MH
May 2012
6:30pm, 29 May 2012
105 posts
  •  
MH
Good luck with the holter monitoring - make sure they give you some extra sticky pads so that you can change them if you need to. They stay on pretty well, but if you sweat a lot whilst running you might want to change them during the days you have the monitor (I had it for 7 last time). I'd say it's easier to keep hidden under your shirt if you are a man, I found it slightly trickier being female, but very doable.

Dr Dan - thanks for the thread line re the ablation. I have an appt with the eminent Mr Chow in June to discuss. As well as the AF, I have also had what may have been to be a SVTs - but very few and far between and also short (thankfully, as I felt on the verge of passing out). I'm not sure I'm a great candidate for the ablation as the AF really goes in phases and I guess you have to be in it so that they can perform it successfully? However if you had asked me in Feb whether I wanted it I would have agreed to it in a heartbeat (couldn't resist that pun, sorry)
May 2012
6:33pm, 29 May 2012
42,463 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
no, you dont necessarily have to be in the AF

they might need to provoke it to find out what to ablate, so to speak
MH
May 2012
6:39pm, 29 May 2012
106 posts
  •  
MH
I love this site.
May 2012
6:40pm, 29 May 2012
42,464 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
so do I
:)

its a mine of info
May 2012
11:32am, 30 May 2012
16,193 posts
  •  
macca53
thanks MH - unfortunately my lot in life is to be a sweater (not a pullover;)) so that's a good tip.
MH
May 2012
11:45am, 30 May 2012
107 posts
  •  
MH
you'll be fine (as long as you are not planning on flying anywhere whilst you have the monitor :-) )
May 2012
12:03pm, 30 May 2012
404 posts
  •  
Da Big Guy
Dear All - thanks for comments and will get round to fmailing shortly.

For info, so I went into AF during a race (I think it lasted 10 hours - I have a pacemaker that indicated this), but I'd also had 4 episodes of a minute or two in the 2 -days before when there was no running. I had echo, angiagram and X-ray and all fine. I'm going to go back to docs and see what other aptions there are (apart from do nothing or BBs). I like the idea of further testing to see if it can be induced.
May 2012
12:09pm, 30 May 2012
42,490 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Da Big Guy
electrical ablation is one option but if you dont have any more episodes, its not worth it

there are other medication options which are not beta blockers

do you really have a pacemaker??
May 2012
4:53pm, 31 May 2012
965 posts
  •  
DrDan
Should that be "a minefield of info" PH? ;-)

I had my SVT induced while on the operating table ... they pumped me full of isoprenaline to bump up my HR (it didn't have much of an effect, being a runner, and only went up to 90 bpm). However, it didn't induce the SVT. However, when they stopped the iso infusion, and my HR started to fall, I went tachycardic ... which matched my real life experience of it happening when slowing down/going down hill/stopping my bike.The cardiologists got quite excited when it kicked off as they could then locate the "short circuit" in my heart. They then played "battle ships" and fried the dodgey bit of heart tissue. It was quite surreal to lie there watching this.
Jun 2012
4:32pm, 1 Jun 2012
16,241 posts
  •  
macca53
going to get the 3 lead ECG monitor next Thursday. The bumph said you can't swim, shower or bathe so I rang them and asked about running and getting sweaty (which is what the cardiologist wants me to do) - they're going to give me some extra sticky tabs......

watch this space

About This Thread

Maintained by Da Big Guy
Anyone had atrial fibrilation? How bad, How often, how long does it take to go, what causes it for y...