The 'new' Dr Who

92 watchers
11 May
9:00pm, 11 May 2024
1,549 posts
  •  
roberton
Just watched the first. Enjoyed it, better than I dared hope.

Story was total nonsense but it didn’t pretend it was more than that. The big thing though is just how good the two leads are. I know people have been saying good things about Ncuti but I hadn’t seen it in the intro episode; I did here though. And Ruby was fab too IMO.

So, promising from my point of view.

Will watch the second one tomorrow…
3M
11 May
11:06pm, 11 May 2024
24,001 posts
  •  
3M
Missed it completely!
12 May
10:48am, 12 May 2024
1,550 posts
  •  
roberton
It's on iPlayer :-)
12 May
12:25pm, 12 May 2024
613 posts
  •  
LouiseRuns 🌹🇬🇧 🇪🇺
Cast is great, storylines good, but I really hated the end of the second episode (and I was someone who loved the musical Buffy episode!) It just seemed to be doing the musical for the sake of it rather than adding anything.
CK2
12 May
7:54pm, 12 May 2024
2,707 posts
  •  
CK2
I watched episode 1 this evening. Personally I found it totally Disneyfied and possibly the worst Dr Who I’ve watched. If that’s the better episode I don’t think I’ll bother with the second one, especially if it’s starting to turn Dr Who into a musical!
12 May
9:14pm, 12 May 2024
1,553 posts
  •  
roberton
Oh dear! I didn't see it as Disneyfied, would be interesting to know what exactly you mean by that (I did think the story daft though, obviously).

I've just watched the second episode. That ending is... odd. I'm with LouiseRuns that it just seemed to be there for the sake of it (and a terrible pun). Very different from that famous Buffy one.

As for the episode overall... in some ways similar to the first. Performances and characterisation: great. Story and plot: sadly not. In this case I was more forgiving of the setup, but the way it was resolved was a bit disappointing.

I remain optimistic that if/when there are better stories (probably not written by RTD 😆) it will be good.
13 May
11:02am, 13 May 2024
1,556 posts
  •  
roberton
The next episode is written by Stephen Moffat 🤞
CK2
13 May
2:07pm, 13 May 2024
2,708 posts
  •  
CK2
roberton wrote:I didn't see it as Disneyfied, would be interesting to know what exactly you mean by that (I did think the story daft though, obviously).

I just found it glossy, simplistic and aimed at audiences who needed everything explained. It appears to have lost the darkness that usually sits beneath all good Dr Who episodes.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Legless
verdicts please