low mileage ultra training

14 watchers
15 Mar
4:33pm, 15 Mar 2024
9 posts
  •  
Barefoot Pilgrim
I came to running in my mid 40s, already quite fit doing a manual job, but with a young family and critically ill wife. I run for my mental/spiritual health and have gradually given ever less of a shit about my times. I agree Melbas, as long as I can gradually increase the length of my Sunday morning long run through the Spring I know I'll be fine for my big race.
17 Mar
7:19am, 17 Mar 2024
63 posts
  •  
melbas
Sounds like you have a hell of a lot to deal with. I am glad running is helping. Best of luck with your training and race.
17 Mar
9:52pm, 17 Mar 2024
10 posts
  •  
Barefoot Pilgrim
Thanks. It's been a tough 5 years but things are better now, and it's made me and my wife much tougher and better people. I love ultra running but I still have family, work and community responsibilities that limit the time and energy I can devote to it. I'm interested in how other runners who want to run 100+ miles maximise their limited training time or build mental and physical resilience on a daily basis through micro training.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Barefoot Pilgrim
Hi everyone, I'm a very low weekly mileage ultra runner. Last year I averaged 10-15 miles a week in training and ran the 47 mile Windermere Lap. This year I'm doing the 111 mile Warwickshire Canal Ring. I'm doing about 10 miles a week at the moment, and hope to get up to 20 before the big day.
You probably won't be surprised to hear that I've never found a training plan that comes remotely near to suiting my lifestyle, but I'd love to hear from any other runners wh...