HOKA Highland Fling 2017

14 watchers
Apr 2017
7:35pm, 15 Apr 2017
8,034 posts
  •  
Joopsy
I'll be at the start, halfway and the end.
Apr 2017
11:44pm, 15 Apr 2017
7,446 posts
  •  
Duchess
I shall be at the end as usual :-)
Apr 2017
10:50am, 16 Apr 2017
11,866 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
Last double-digit mile run done, taper time.
Apr 2017
2:08pm, 17 Apr 2017
869 posts
  •  
mbln
Thoroughly enjoyed the recce from Beinglas Farm past Inversnaid and back last Thursday. Went as far south as the forestry track (high/low road split) and back. It's quite twisty turny with a few scrambles, and can imagine it gets quite churned up in places during the race. Plenty of opportunities for stumbling and tripping of course, so I'll be packing some caffeine for the Inversnaid drop bag.
I'm now left wondering what the long climb after Beinglas is like, is it runnable? (depending what state legs are in of course)
Apr 2017
2:52pm, 17 Apr 2017
11,878 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
Yes. It is all runnable after Beinglas but I've never been in a fit state to take advantage
Apr 2017
7:51pm, 17 Apr 2017
362 posts
  •  
damo2000
I have a question about fueling for an ultra.

I usually only use gels for marathon distance but read that you need to eat something for longer distances. Also read that you should eat what you crave [your body knows best] so it will be peanut chocolate bars for me, or peanut butter on toast. Is that type food ok?

I read something about needing sodium, is that necessary?
Apr 2017
10:17pm, 17 Apr 2017
11,886 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
It's very individualistic. I'm only able to run Ultras at very low intensity so actually don't need to eat much. I get most of my calories from full strength Coca Cola.
Apr 2017
1:42pm, 18 Apr 2017
7,447 posts
  •  
Duchess
Damo, what you eat in an ultra is entirely down to personal preference. I know a few who run 30-40 milers on gels, some folks run on tailwind, some seem to have a three course dinner at every checkpoint. Ask ten runners and you'll get at least nine different answers.

FWIW, the most consistent advice I've seen is, eat little and often, starting sooner than you think you need to, and make sure you have options of non-sweet food certainly for later in the run when your body is rebelling at the thought of anything sugary. I see a lot of craving for salty foods (one very good female I know wolfs down spoonfuls of Marmite - that *might* not suit everyone!)
Apr 2017
1:46pm, 18 Apr 2017
11,910 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
Spot on Duchess. :)

Up to marathon distance I can get away with sweet tasting rubbish e.g. gels, etc. But for an Ultra and particularly a fifty-plus miler savoury is like the best food ever eaten. Shame they don't serve a meat stew at Beinglas *apologies to vegetarians and vegans*
Apr 2017
4:21pm, 18 Apr 2017
363 posts
  •  
damo2000
Cheers for advice, I going to do some testing this weekend, see how the stomach copes with my choices.

About This Thread

Maintained by damo_HAC
Ding Ding. For chat, advice and hints for the 2017 Highland Fling and Relay Race. Race website is highlandflingrace.org