depression

1 lurker | 241 watchers
May 2016
10:11am, 4 May 2016
2,529 posts
  •  
Irontubs
Morning people.
I stuck my head round the door a couple of weeks ago but am coming in to take a seat now.

I'm not doing so well not least I suppose because I keep forgetting to take my meds, they aren't going to work sitting in the cupboard now are they. Setting a reminder in my phone hasn't helped. I'm probably taking them half the time.
I also feel that I may also be suffering from anxiety to go with the depression. I don't necessarily acknowledge what I might be/am worrying about I just feel constantly on edge with those nervy butterflies in my tummy.
May 2016
10:25am, 4 May 2016
21,128 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Leave them out by the kettle and take them with your first tea of the day. Write the days of the week on the pack if they're unlabeled - works for me
May 2016
12:08pm, 4 May 2016
4,462 posts
  •  
Trin
I need help.
I wasn't sure whether to post in here or in the support for parents of teens thread, but even though the situation with my daughter is the main cause of the desperate state I find myself in, she is no longer a teen.

When I look back over the past couple of years I can understand why I feel so 'dark'
The loss of my daughter, a year and a half ago finding out my dad had died two years before, rejection from family on his side, getting sick with ME, my mother dying last year and not given information about the funeral when I so desperately needed closure, rejection from the remainder of my family, the stress of moving to Spain, and to top it off, feeling unsupported by my husband.

The weather here is blue sky and sunshine, but life feels so dark, I can't seem to feel happy about anything.

We're back in the UK for a week at the end of the month so I will see a doctor then.
I have a long history of bouts of depression so I can usually recognise it. But a couple of months ago I would not have said I was depressed, now I believe I've been sliding down for a long time, probably over the last year, or even longer, and now I'm almost at the state of not caring about life anymore, which both scares and comforts me in equal measure.

The one thing holding me up is my 7 month old grandson. If I leave now, he'll never know me.
May 2016
12:32pm, 4 May 2016
21,133 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Hang in there Trin. My god children once save me from a deep and tempting abyss
May 2016
1:01pm, 4 May 2016
38,577 posts
  •  
swittle
Dear Trin: the knowing you're ill is ground zero; the knowing how to improve is much trickier. Thoughts and fears can tie you to the ground, so that you rarely look up to get a different, more pleasing view.

Accept that you can't 'fix' every situation straight away. Some aspects will need to stay as they are. What could you change in you? What is going rather better for you? Why? What could you build on?

Your back catalogue of pain is long, too long. Time to work towards closing it.

*Please forgive me if I'm writing out of turn.*
May 2016
1:37pm, 4 May 2016
42 posts
  •  
Claypole
Trin you are a marvel

I hope some positive vibes get through cyberspace to you from all those positing on here.
I would say feeling dark is a rational reaction to the experiences you've had.

Kudos to you for spotting a route to some happiness in the shape of your relationship with your grandson.

I wish you love and strength
Claypole:-)
May 2016
2:46pm, 4 May 2016
9,556 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Irontubs - I know exactly how you feel regarding the anxiety, although I currently don't feel depressed, I feel like I'm constantly in a mild state of panic and an anxiety/panic attack is imminent. I don't know if this is true because I've never had an anxiety/panic attack so maybe I'm just being over dramatic.

Not taking any meds at the moment, worried that depression is on its way back :(
May 2016
3:12pm, 4 May 2016
8,993 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
Trin, you've had some such difficult things, and big life upheaval. Am I right you did get to meet your grandson while in the states? Did you see your daughter too? I assume things were no better? :(

Have you made friends or anything in Spain- is it just that your husband doesn't really understand depression do you think? You must hang in there that much is for sure.

I think the anxiety/depression things do often go together. I've never really considered myself to have much of an anxiety problem, but I sure as hell do at the moment. Things aren't going well without the drugs however much I try and deny it. I still have no idea what to do. Things are getting gradually worse, I sort of lose interest in anything/doing anything first, and that's what's happening. More of a sort of 'can't be bothered to be here'- can't even describe it. And it's definitely just 'illness'= there is no reactive anything, or reason with me. Things are fine. Except they aren't. Oh I dunno. I just want to be at home, my heart is racing too much doing life today. Yet I don't want a return to the drugs. *bangs head*
May 2016
3:51pm, 4 May 2016
4,463 posts
  •  
Trin
Swittle, you're not speaking out of turn, so thanks. I think the problem is that I've been battered for so long and held on for so long, trying to be strong, and now I'm broken with no strength left.

Thanks claypole x

GF, I went to the US specifically to see my daughter and grandson. I knew it would be difficult but wasn't prepared for how difficult it would be. She would only see me for one or two hours every two or three days, and was very hostile. I've emailed 3 times since we got back but it's the same as before, no replies.

We do have some friends out here and I'm going to see someone tomorrow who is good to talk to.
I don't think hubby wants to accept that I am depressed, it wasn't part of the plan.

I can also identify with the anxiety, before I got ME I never felt anxiety like I do now. It is so debilitating sometimes. I had my first panic attack as a result of hearing bad news about my daughter and I thought I was going to die.
Sometimes I've thought that I'm weak for feeling anxious so easily, but in fact it's more because we've been trying to be strong for too long.
May 2016
5:51pm, 5 May 2016
86 posts
  •  
Duracell
I am sorry to see so many people struggling. Can't really add much wisdom - but thinking of you all and hoping just writing it here helps

About This Thread

Maintained by NRGEE