Brighton Marathon 2020

15 watchers
Jan 2020
9:14am, 18 Jan 2020
3,440 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Three months to go until the Brighton Marathon Weekend. It would good to hear everyone's thoughts, plans and tips as we count down to the eleventh marathon down in Brighton.
Jan 2020
3:18pm, 19 Jan 2020
3,443 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
If you have shown an interest in the BM Weekend membership, Grounded Events should be e-mailing you tomorrow with the code to use from Wednesday.

Personally, I'm still unsure whether to purchase the five or ten year scheme.
Jan 2020
1:02pm, 22 Jan 2020
3,447 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Opted for the ten year option which will take me into my late fifties so I hope I will still be fit enough to run by then! At least it works out at £40 per year which, as you will no longer be able to buy any early bird entries at the pre-race expo, is a pretty good deal.
Jan 2020
4:54pm, 24 Jan 2020
123 posts
  •  
KeithL
Not sure how many of those they will have sold - ten years is a very long time to commit to any event. But hope you have ten great years.
Jan 2020
1:30pm, 25 Jan 2020
3,449 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Hi Keith. I've done all ten previous races, so taking up the membership offer was a no brainer for me. Are you a Brighton regular by any chance?

Will you be starting from Withdean or from the red corral in Preston Park? As a mere mortal, I am hoping to go from the yellow (sub-4:30) corral this year if the training goes well, otherwise it's going to be pink for another year.
Jan 2020
6:51pm, 27 Jan 2020
52 posts
  •  
tommy_b
Do the starting corals make much difference? Is it more just aligning yourself with fellow paced plodders to avoid burning out kinda thing?

(First timer here)
Jan 2020
7:37pm, 27 Jan 2020
15,891 posts
  •  
Serendippily
The pacers are helpful if you’re in the right group and there is a fair bit of congestion early on. And don’t get me started on how things can run out late on if you’re at the back ;-) I’ll be supporting prob st James st will be fetched up no doubt x
Jan 2020
8:12pm, 27 Jan 2020
3,452 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
In theory, the corrals should mean that everyone around you starts at the same pace which isn't always true, of course.

Personally, I don't find much congestion until around miles 7-10 when the road narrows. Before that, it isn't too bad especially if you get into your corral early on so you can start at the front and you have some space in front of you.

However, last year there were some roadworks (I think) near the Pavilion at mile 3 which meant a much more congested section earlier in the race. Hopefully, that won't be in place this year. Also, in 2019 there was a wheelchair participant and a child's running buggy that started at the back of the blue 3:30-4:00 corral. Given that there is a hill straight after the start, and I started in the pink corral about ten minutes later, I had caught them up in the first half-mile. It's still much less congested than the VMLM.
Jan 2020
8:16pm, 27 Jan 2020
3,453 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I'll try and be a bit more observant this year, 'dipps, having only spotted you just after the Sealife roundabout at the finish. Do you know if sallykate and kwala are doing a Fetchpoint again at mile 19?
Jan 2020
8:22pm, 27 Jan 2020
15,892 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I hope to see SK soon I’ll ask and report back it’s always a bit further than me and c9 can get to walking

About This Thread

Maintained by Surrey Phil
The eleventh Brighton Marathon has been cancelled and is being replaced by The Edit on Sunday 11 October. Either run a virtual marathon between 30 September and 11 October or run 20 miles during the same period and complete the final 6.2 miles along the seafront.