Really tight calves in Marathon training

4 watchers
Jan 2012
1:13pm, 29 Jan 2012
302 posts
  •  
not built for speed
I'm training for Brighton at the mo, and my calves feel like they are about to explode!

Everytime I run, I need to stop within about half a mile to strech as my calves feel like they are trying to burst out of my leg - they are realy tight, and hard and sore to the touch.

I've done marathons before and never had this problem in training before - does anyone have sugestions / ideas of what's wrong?

I'm trying to increase the amount of stretching I do and I've got a foam roller, but am at a loss as to what else I can do!
Jan 2012
1:18pm, 29 Jan 2012
1,356 posts
  •  
Muds
Something has changed. Shoes old & tired? New shoes holding feet in a different way? Evolved to fore foot strike, but not built miles up yet? Pushed mileage or long runs up too quickly? Lots of recent running on unfamiliar terrain? ie normally on road, but recently lots of softer ground, or vice versa?
Jan 2012
16,001 posts
  •  
swittle
What's wear like on your shoes?
Jan 2012
45 posts
  •  
olde english
changed your running style or any recent injuries which may have altered your gait? i have the same prob but its because i m rebuilding my running style due to knee going on me again. basically i m far more on my toes/forefoot than i m used to.
Jan 2012
1:55pm, 29 Jan 2012
303 posts
  •  
not built for speed
Hi, thanks for the replies. I haven't changed anything recently - my shoes are new but the same make / model as my previous ones. I think maybe I am building up too fast - I might drop my midweek slow run for some cross training and see if it
Jan 2012
2:00pm, 29 Jan 2012
6,232 posts
  •  
KatieB
Get a regular massage too. :-)
Jan 2012
2:10pm, 29 Jan 2012
11,262 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Might be the new shoes, if the old ones were really old.
Jan 2012
2:44pm, 29 Jan 2012
585 posts
  •  
loki
have a look at thestick.co.uk. I have the industrial one, always had problems with tight calves, and it really does seem to help.
may
Jan 2012
2:47pm, 29 Jan 2012
814 posts
  •  
may
Sticks are great!!: ) always try to go over my legs with it before and after running good to invest in one: )
Jan 2012
4:16pm, 29 Jan 2012
40 posts
  •  
Cyclops
My right calf hurt the entire time I trained and ran my one and only marathon. I had months off running afterwards but when I started again it hurt in exactly the same way as it had before. Small amounts of gentle, non-pressured running later it's fine.... I can only suggest running as little as you think you can get away with!

About This Thread

Maintained by not built for speed
I'm training for Brighton at the mo, and my calves feel like they are about to explode!

Everytim...