Asthma

6 watchers
Aug 2011
12:47pm, 30 Aug 2011
1,665 posts
  •  
Loca
I can't see an existing thread about this but I need some support/advice.

Background - a few years ago I started coughing & wheezing after running in the cold air (it was winter) and/or doing hard training sessions such as intervals. Around this time I also got a cat and noticed I had a bit of an allergic reaction to it - watery eyes, runny nose a bit wheezy etc. I went to the docs who suspected I had asthma and did some tests which I then had to repeat after being given asthma medication. It showed a slight improvement in my test results, but not drastic, but all the same he prescribed me asthma inhalers. I didn't want to use them and I never picked up the prescription. Eventually I became less sensitive to the cat and used one of the lung trainer things which helped with the exercise induced asthma and my symptoms were manageable that way.

Two years ago, I moved house and as the cat stayed with my ex, so I haven't been in contact with cats for a while, but about 3 months ago, I got another cat. Since then, the allergy symptoms have come back and I spend quite a few nights with disrupted sleep from coughing and wheezing. I'm also always coughing and wheezing on my runs so it's starting to affect my training and racing, whereas in the past I was just coughing afterwards. Using the lung trainer doesn't seem to make much difference (so far!) and with a very important race in 4 weeks time I want to try and sort this out and I do have a Docs appt on Thursday.

I also suffer from really bad stitch (last 12 months) when I run/race hard and wondered if this might be related to asthma. On Saturday I had to stop during the progressive end section of a long run with a tightness in my chest (which I've not had before) and stitch pains.

BTW the stitch is totally random and as far as I can see is not related to how much I have drunk/eaten before or during the run or timing of food or timing of training etc.

So are there any other sufferers out there or Docs who can help/advise - do my symptoms sound like asthma or something else? How much difference does the medication make? I'm also concerned about becoming dependent on it and having to take it a lot and for the rest of my life. I tend to avoid taking any medication if at all possible - hence the reason I didn't bother with it the last time when I only had symptoms post-run.
Aug 2011
1:20pm, 30 Aug 2011
4,924 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
I'm asthmatic too. I found then when it got like you are describing, I need a brown becotide inhaler (preventative) for a couple of months to calm things down. Before each run I would also have 2 puffs of Ventolin (the blue inhaler). I would also use nose spray (something like Beconase) and anti-histamines daily to stop the allergy causing things to get worse. Now, I haven't had to use my blue inhaler for almost 2 years, and I'm never bothered by breathing problems when running.

Re: the stitch, I don't know really, but perhaps if you aren;t breathing as naturally as usual it might be causing problems?
Aug 2011
1:30pm, 30 Aug 2011
5,001 posts
  •  
Footpad
It sounds like you have a sensitivity to your cat. Either.... get rid of the cat, or take the inhalers. The steriodal preventers will make your symptoms much better and you do not get any systemic effects as it is a very low dose administered to the airways. The coughing at night is a sure sign of asthma especially linked to tightness and wheezing.

Get started on the preventers (it can take a while to get going) and use the blue releivers when you really need them. Don't worry about becoming dependant on them as you either have asthma (and need them) or you don't (so don't).

Stsich wise: Is it high up in the shoulder area? Is it linked to increased effort in breathing? If so then yes it is due to the exercised induced asthma.
Aug 2011
1:32pm, 30 Aug 2011
4,222 posts
  •  
Woffy
After a really bad issue with a serious chest infection I ended up at a consultant who did the same classic tests that it sounds like you had, with the breathing tests before and after use of the inhaler. I am told that I am a "classic asthmatic" which basically means that there is a definite improvement after the ventolin.

They put me on a preventive inhaler and a ventolin (blue inhaler) but the preventive one made me ill, they tried a few others but they all left me feeling flat so I stopped taking them. Now I am not a serious asthmatic in that I can go weeks or months without ever having any symptoms and I have never had a serious attack (I have a son who is what I would call a proper asthmatic so I know the difference). However there are times where my breathing gets hard, mine is not exercise induced asthma but it just hits me every now and again (in fact now is a bad time), when I feel the need for it then I will take a couple of puffs on the blue ventolin inhaler and that sorts me out okay and it usually settles in a few days.

Being aware that you are a serious runner, I am pretty sure if you did this then you would have to declare it on your race entries, my understanding is that taking ventolin is okay only if it has been declared. My every now and again use of the inhaler works well for me, but as far as the cat goes, the cat needs to go if you have a sensitivity, it certainly won't help, if that sounds callous then my apologies, we have had to make sure our house has no pets, carpets etc etc.

I don't think the stitch is connected, never heard it linked to asthma. Please feel free to ignore anything I've said, but it reflects what happens to me.
Aug 2011
1:35pm, 30 Aug 2011
5,002 posts
  •  
Footpad
Oh and forgot to add that I take my preventer inhaler morning and night and never need the blue one anymore. Had this silly problem all my life and never thought I could run at all as I was so badly controlled as a kid that sport was just not possible. Now I can run ..... although slowly compared to some!
Aug 2011
1:40pm, 30 Aug 2011
13,084 posts
  •  
Stumpy
if you are allergic to something (ie the cat) you will have problems for as long as you continue to come into contact with the allergen (the cat). therefore you would need something to counter the allergy which would most likely be a steroid/preventer inhaler. (the brown one).

the blue inhaler will open your airways, either in preparation for something causing them to constrict (cold air) or after they have constricted. don't be fooled into thinking the blue one is enough on its own. if you are damaging your airways through constant exposure to something you are allergic to, you need something to prevent this damage getting worse. the blue one helps 'now'. the brown one protects you. (or it might be orange. or it might be purple, depending on exactly which one you are given). the idea is to avoid ever needing to use the blue one.

sorry to be harsh, but the others are right. either get rid of the cat or use the inhalers. this will not get better on its own unfortunately.
Aug 2011
1:43pm, 30 Aug 2011
1,666 posts
  •  
Loca
There are certain types of preventer and reliever medication that doesn't have to be declared as they are not onthe banned/restricted WADA list as far as I can see - but the whole thing is very confusing. So I will see if I can get those particular ones and hope the make a difference.

Getting rid of the cat :-O is not an option!!! and I still have had EIA when not living with a cat, it just seems that the cat makes my symptoms worse.

Definitely the stitch seems to be linked with my effort level and therefore also breathing rate as it happens when I'm running hard or fatigued like at the end of a long race.
Aug 2011
1:48pm, 30 Aug 2011
5,003 posts
  •  
Footpad
The stich could be due to hyper-expansion as you are trying to breath in really hard, the astma stops the lungs from expelling air as they get stiff. So the natural reflex is to try and breath IN harder and so the lungs get overinflated (not literally or you would pop). So the stich is from over expanding to get more breath.

My initial reaction was a little harsh but please don't be afraid of taking asthma inhalers..... if you do have EIA then it will make a HUGE difference to your running. Cold weather especially with strong winds blowing in your face can literally take your breath away with EIA. Also any sign of a viral cold will spark it off. The cat is probably not helping.......... although my cat is not going anywhere either!

Good luck with the doctor appt.
Aug 2011
1:49pm, 30 Aug 2011
5,004 posts
  •  
Footpad
Apologies for bad typos......... fingers not able to keep up today!
Aug 2011
1:58pm, 30 Aug 2011
1,667 posts
  •  
Loca
Footpad, that breathing thing would make sense. I'll monitor my breathing, but I do think that when I'm working hard it feels like I'm just breathing in hard and not breathing out very hard.

About This Thread

Maintained by Loca
I can't see an existing thread about this but I need some support/advice.

Background - a few yea...