Email Password Forgot? | Register

Ultra Marathons

0 lurkers | 324 watchers
6:42pm, 2 Jul 2015
15963 posts
That's the other thing I'd need to do in advance - force myself to use Harveys to get used to their colour coding and (re)learn to navigate by altitude and contour lines since there's not a lot of other info on them!

Did they leave the grid lines on the maps to allow you to locate yourself with GPS?
7:29am, 3 Jul 2015
853 posts
flanker, yes they left the grid lines on! Actually, that was one of my revelations - using my watch, (garmin Fenix) to give me a OS Grid Ref which I could then use to locate myself (roughly) on the map. Very, very useful - especially in the cloud and mist.

On Day 4 the maps changed to OS Explorer-style which was really confusing for a while as the colours changed, trails went from red to green etc. It also had all the additional detail you'd normally get on an OS Explorer map - navigation was SO much simpler!
12:53pm, 3 Jul 2015
15965 posts
I've got the long press on the lap button of my Fenix set to give grid ref. Can be very handy at times.
Like this page? Share it on Facebook:

Join Us Now!

Fetcheveryone is a free website for runners, bikers, swimmers, triathletes, and outdoorsy types.

We have an epic training log, more event listings than any site we know of, and supportive community that will help you achieve your goals. And in case you've forgotten already, it's free!

Pic: Getty / Paul Bradbury

Fetch Gets Mobile!

Take us wherever you go! Click here to read the article!

About This Thread

Any upcoming races you want putting in the header then drop me (ogee) an fmail & i'll put it Link (roll over me to see where I go)#. Remember to list the race in your portfolio.
Trying to work about 6 weeks in advance or it'll get too crowded. :-)

Get your pom poms out for...

***If you would like to contribute an event report or photo to the Ultra Tales community e-magazine (www.ultratales.com) then please email ultratales@gmail.com***

Link for the Latest edition of Ultra Tales

www.ultratales.wordpress.com

***New website for Social Ultras (All free)***
Link (roll over me to see where I go)

Tags
None

Close