The Storied Life of A J Fikry - May 2024 Book Group discussion thread

1 lurker | 7 watchers
23 May
10:41pm, 23 May 2024
86,168 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Saccharine. Glib. Readable. Predictable. Not awful, a bit cynical, writing by numbers, ticking boxes. I’m not sure why anyone writes books like this? They clearly love books but then they write shite like this?

Sorry.
9:03pm
9:03pm, 27 May 2024
22,514 posts
  •  
Columba
On the whole, a No. Plot ok, characters I couldn't get to feel involved with.

A short distance in, I recognised a theme from Silas Marner. As The Storied Life is to some extent a book about books, I thought Silas Marner would be sure to get an explicit mention at some point. Both Silas and AJ lose (or have stolen from them) an item of great monetary value; and (coincidentally or shortly afterwards) a very little girl toddles into their life (lives) and remains; each of them adopts his respective little girl, and brings her up. Right at the end of each book, the original treasure turns up again.

But did Silas Marner get a mention? No indeed. Or rather, worse still, yes it did, on page 244 (in the edition I was reading), in a list of books which Ismay teaches to her English Literature students. The author names it but has presumably never read it.
9:08pm
9:08pm, 27 May 2024
22,515 posts
  •  
Columba
Having read back - Laughed at Owlie's comments, as I can echo every one of them.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
A J Fikry was a bear
A J Fikry had no hair
A J Fikry wasn't fuzzy was he?

So begins The Storied Life of A J Fikry possibly. This is the May 2024 book group choice as picked by Quimby.

Tease your thoughts on this tome from brain to page and pray tell your opinion in the thread provided below. And a good day to you.