Pisa Marathon (Dec 2013)

1 watcher
Aug 2013
9:54am, 10 Aug 2013
26 posts
  •  
sahorsb
Thanks for all the thoughts - I knew Fetch would be the place to ask! I've gone and booked it, so will start looking into all the options (the links will be most helpful) for accommodation etc. I'll let you know how I get on.

Good news that it's a relatively flat course, as it would be awesome to shed the ten seconds off my Amsterdam time as mentioned in my original post. But what with the complexities of trying to train around my watch-keeping when onboard, we'll have to play that by ear I reckon.

Time for the Saturday morning pace run. Cheers again guys!
Aug 2013
9:54am, 10 Aug 2013
27 posts
  •  
sahorsb
Thanks for all the thoughts - I knew Fetch would be the place to ask! I've gone and booked it, so will start looking into all the options (the links will be most helpful) for accommodation etc. I'll let you know how I get on.

Good news that it's a relatively flat course, as it would be awesome to shed the ten seconds off my Amsterdam time as mentioned in my original post. But what with the complexities of trying to train around my watch-keeping when onboard, we'll have to play that by ear I reckon.

Time for the Saturday morning pace run. Cheers again guys!
Aug 2013
10:01am, 10 Aug 2013
6,642 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
+1 for Lucca. Sienna is great too. Not done the race but agree Pisa isn't the most attractive place in the area
Dec 2013
6:52pm, 15 Dec 2013
28 posts
  •  
sahorsb
Hi all,

Apologies again for hopping in and out of here; don't always have internet access readily available. But anyway, just a quick post following today's Pisa marathon, now that the buzz of finishing is sinking in.

Firstly, I'd definitely echo those previous comments that suggest staying outwith the city itself: besides the obvious tourist attractions (the tower is most certainly worth a ganders), the city is pretty plain.

That said, the race itself was a very pleasant saunter out of the city, through the Tuscan countryside, looping back along the coast by the villages there, back into the city along the River Arno and finishing by the tower. Though the organisation could be somewhat confusing at times (there is limited information in English, but this is an Italian race so oh well), and perhaps a bit disjointed, on the whole things went very smoothly. 2 things in particular stand out as being tip-top: the pacers for set times (not only were they spot on timing wise, they were really encouraging to the groups around them) and the refreshment stations en route (spread out every 5km). For the most part, the course was flat, with an ever so slight uphill kick at about 41km just to test those weary legs.

Can't think of much else off the top of my head, but if anyone's thinking of doing it next year, I would recommend it; just be prepared for a slight effort to make sure all the information is communicated / understood. If anyone has any questions, just give me a shout

The best part for me.... managed to banish the hoodoo of Amsterdam and trundled in at 02:56:50. Chuffed to bits!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by sahorsb
Hello! Must admit, it's been a couple of years since I've been on Fetch but since getting back int...