Crying as this is about Zwift

3 watchers
Aug 2021
12:11pm, 23 Aug 2021
4,212 posts
  •  
Kieren
Not a Zwifter but didn't think a new thread was warranted with so much knowledge in this one.

I'm recovering from injury (week 7 of fractured foot*) and can wattbike at the gym but no running. I can't sprint bat can now do hard efforts.

Just wondering if there was any advice for types of workouts that cross over well to running 5K to half-marathon or even just to slow the fitness loss?

At the moment I've been doing workouts that are just above or below threshold as I seem to be able to recover from these to add frequency (compared to running 2 a week, with the rest easy)

-----------
* The fracture was an avulsion fracture to the talus, where a tendon or ligament pulls a bit of bone off. Hopefully I'll be back running in 6 weeks but will have to follow a beginner plane like C25K to gently load, so my gym wattbike journey might last maybe 3 months.

I possibly could sub to zwift if the forum thinks that adds value but can't really hog the wattbike much more than an hour.
Aug 2021
12:26pm, 23 Aug 2021
74,642 posts
  •  
Gobi
Not sure I'd want to do anymore than you are doing while that injury recovers. It will be doing more than enough to maintain a level of fitness.
Aug 2021
12:34pm, 23 Aug 2021
4,214 posts
  •  
Kieren
Thank-you. I'll take that :-)

I think I'm just doing the standard coming out of injury think and at risk of too much, too soon. I recognise it but it can be difficult to put back on the box.
Aug 2021
1:49pm, 23 Aug 2021
74,643 posts
  •  
Gobi
Let me calm you down as someone who has cocked it up badly in the past :-)

Relax and tick along. It is enough
gt
Dec 2021
11:54am, 8 Dec 2021
46 posts
  •  
gt
Just been searching on here for threads about bike training and found this.
I’ve tried Zwift, TrainerRoad, Sufferfest and something else I’ve forgotten the name of.

I really couldn’t get my head around the whole online racing thing with Zwift but having read Gobi’s blog I think I need to give it another try. Anything that’ll get me bike fit again has to be a bonus.
Dec 2021
12:03pm, 8 Dec 2021
75,289 posts
  •  
Gobi
GT - good luck

I just needed something and zwift filled the gap well.
gt
Dec 2021
12:13pm, 8 Dec 2021
47 posts
  •  
gt
It’s a means to an end I guess.

No doubt I’ll end up going back to loosely following sessions on Zwift while I watch the CX on GCN+
Dec 2021
1:48pm, 8 Dec 2021
75,290 posts
  •  
Gobi
I've done 1 actual workout since joining zwift.

I run my own group sessions.

The racing really helped to motivate when lockdown was at its worst

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Gobi
I feel sick as I write this but I need some racing to stay sharp(there are certain efforts I cant do...