INOV-8 shoe repairs?

1 watcher
um
Feb 2020
5:12pm, 14 Feb 2020
1,732 posts
  •  
um
I bought a pair of INOV-8 Roclite 315 GTX shoes at the end of November - half price in their Black Friday type sale. Although I suspect they were also old stock. (bought direct from INOV-8, not a retailer)

And have been very pleased with them , especially in a very wet New Forest.
However, yesterday, I noticed that the inner lining on the right heel had shredded / worn away - although the rest of the shoe is fine.
I've only had them 12 weeks or so, and less than 120 miles run in them, so I sent INOV-8 pictures, and after a request today for more pictures, they have refunded me my money.

Ideally I'd have liked a new pair, but I'm thinking an instant refund with no quibble for half price shoes is actually great service.

But my questions -

1) Any ideas on patching/reparing - whether (eg) some type of tape over the gap, or sticking plaster, or ??

2) What should I do differently to the new pair I have under the bed, yet to be worn?

I have used Mudclaws for some time, and they are a very snug fit, the Roclites are a bit roomier.
The fraying is presumably coming from heel friction (although I haven't noticed it or suffered blisters) - so should I lace tighter?

Or pad with something before use?
Or any better ideas?

Thanks!
Feb 2020
5:48pm, 14 Feb 2020
1,521 posts
  •  
oumaumau
Looks like your heel is twisting in them, or lifting and twisting. Thicker sock?

Are you using the lock lacing thing?
um
Feb 2020
6:56pm, 14 Feb 2020
1,735 posts
  •  
um
Hi Oumaumau

Just standard lacing so far.
Is this what you mean by lock lacing? locklaces.com

The shoes do have an extra lace hole - so can tape the hole & and then try that?
Feb 2020
8:30pm, 14 Feb 2020
1,522 posts
  •  
oumaumau
Exactly. Might just close the ankle collar enough to keep your heel still in the shoe.

It could that there's too much volume in the shoe, or the sole is a little stiffer than you are used to so it's not moving with your foot.

Depending on how long the tongue is, you could just lace to the top hole too.

Try the options in the unworn pair -you shouldn't need to run in them, just walking round the house should be enough to tell if its making a difference
Feb 2020
12:45pm, 19 Feb 2020
1,523 posts
  •  
oumaumau
Any joy on the new shoes? Just for completeness sake... ;)
um
Feb 2020
3:24pm, 19 Feb 2020
1,751 posts
  •  
um
Not tried the new ones yet, am working on recovery options for the old ones. And for the last week, most of the are round here has been so deep that waterproof shoes would be useless !

But I have ordered, and now got 2 different options (£3 each) -
- adhesive padded 'heel snugs' that will fit around the inside of the shoe amazon.co.uk
- neoprene lie 'ankle sleeve' amazon.co.uk

and the 'free' modified lacing to try.

Will be off to sunnier climes tomorrow, so will be a week or two before I'm back to wearing the waterproof shoes and able to give an update.
Jun 2021
3:54pm, 1 Jun 2021
38,870 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Just to say, I've been given a return for Inov-8 X-talon 210 G (the graphene sole ones). The upper looked very lightweight when I opened box and indeed, only 103 miles in and at the little toe, holes were starting to appear.

I contacted Pete Bland sports, sent a photo and they agreed, shouldn't be at 103 miles, so gave me a return code. I've got some older X-talon 212 from Fast Feet (I know that model can do 1,000 miles!) :-) G
Jun 2021
4:33pm, 1 Jun 2021
696 posts
  •  
faithfulred
I have to say that this does look like quite superficial damage. As long as it's not causing any rubbing/irritation, I'd just keep using them. I use my shoes until they practically fall apart!
Jun 2021
4:35pm, 1 Jun 2021
697 posts
  •  
faithfulred
My last shoes just before I retired them!:

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by um
I bought a pair of INOV-8 Roclite 315 GTX shoes at the end of November - half price in their Black F...