Swimming with Total Immersion

3 watchers
Jan 2020
8:54am, 7 Jan 2020
16,555 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Hey

I did a TI course a few years ago and my "swim style" has definitely improved.

I average 19-20 strokes per length but now I want to get quicker.

Anyone got any good tips advice reading or videos?

I did a full IM distance pool swim yesterday and there was very little variation in SPL

All help appreciated

EP
Jan 2020
1:02pm, 7 Jan 2020
37,668 posts
  •  
Purps
Sent you an fmail, but bumping for others.
Jan 2020
1:10pm, 7 Jan 2020
16,557 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Cheers
Jan 2020
1:21pm, 7 Jan 2020
9,356 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I'd be interested in doing a course, but they all seem to be well sarf of here. Typical Southern bias ;-)

Where'd you find your course?
Jan 2020
1:53pm, 7 Jan 2020
16,558 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I did one in Blaby that was ok the UK site
There is one in Coventry but as I said £200
Jan 2020
3:24pm, 7 Jan 2020
13,216 posts
  •  
richmac
Fozzy loads of coaching available in Yarkshire region. Check out the blue lagooners.

Depends on the coaching you've had before EP. Assuming you've nailed technique (more or less), by that I generally mean entry and catch then upping your stroke rate seems the most logical way to go. best way to do that without losing 'power' is to concentrate on the recovery phase, get that arm back in the water quicker.

Also how's your kick?

A lot of the time I found it's all about time in the water and intervals just like trying to run quicker but your lungs actually do burst!

Best of luck with it
Jan 2020
3:35pm, 7 Jan 2020
9,358 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Rich - they do SwimSmooth rather than TI I think?

I couldn't find a TI workshop anywhere north of Birmingham.
Jan 2020
3:42pm, 7 Jan 2020
16,559 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
rich my kick is terrible but I was told as I want to do tri it was less important as you want to save the legs for the bike. I almost stand still when using a kick board!
Jan 2020
4:55pm, 7 Jan 2020
13,220 posts
  •  
richmac
that's an 'interesting' coaching point! If you want to swim quicker saving your legs for the bike isn't going to help.

TBH, coming out of the swim I've never felt i've taken to much out of my legs for the bike. Loads of other things wrong but not that.
Jan 2020
10:32pm, 30 Jan 2020
83 posts
  •  
Tiggers mate Roo
Stick with TI! I’ve been doing it c 4yrs, and gradually getting faster, but come out of IM distance swim completely fresh. As for kicking with a kick board, it’s quite against TI principles, like running holding your hands still above your head. Your legs and arms should be working together, not trying to work separately, even if you sometimes focus your attention on your kick.
Do you use a tempo trainer? You set the cadence to go beep every stroke. Find out your present cadence for your spl, which sounds perfect (depending on your height) then you adjust the beep to speed up your cadence ever so slightly, till you can no longer maintain your spl. Then practice till you can swim at increase cadence, same stroke count ie automatically, effortlessly faster.

Have a look for the TI Smart Speed course.
Have fun. I love TI, as you are always focusing on something, and finding improvement, without really doing speedwork.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
Hey

I did a TI course a few years ago and my "swim style" has definitely improved.

I average 1...