Trail/fell running alone

1 lurker | 10 watchers
Apr 2019
9:24am, 13 Apr 2019
2,301 posts
  •  
Raemond
More than once Sam has told me he's going out for x number of hours, without much of an idea what route he's planning on and half the time without even any ID, and then be two or three hours late and I've been genuinely questioning how I would go about finding his corpse (or the ditch he's fallen in).

He mostly does take a phone with him now on longer runs, but I can't help being worried that something might happen to him. He's been hit by a car at least twice that I know of, and fallen over tree roots and rocks and all sorts.
Apr 2019
12:42pm, 13 Apr 2019
22,132 posts
  •  
Dave A
It’s not something I’ve ever worried about. When I go out now, Phal asks where I’m going etc. When I lived on my own, especially when BG training, I’d be out of the door very early and in the fells without telling anyone who could do anything about it. I used to do the Yorkshireman half route on a regular basis. Once your in the back section around Top Withens by the wind farm there’s not usually many people about.
Apr 2019
12:46pm, 13 Apr 2019
10,243 posts
  •  
Ness
I don’t run anywhere very isolated but after the time when I fell and broke my nose I do take my mobile with me for long runs.
Apr 2019
1:47pm, 13 Apr 2019
2,113 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
In the time that we've lived here we've had two serious accidents. One each for Shel and I. I fell down a disused mine shaft whilst Shel crashed the quad bike. In both cases things ended well. They ended well because we had the means to summon help and, at least in Shels case a well developed strategy that meant the other partner knew we were overdue. (I never actually became overdue) and had a decent idea of where to look.

It's perfectly possible to die of exposure within earshot of the A52.

Be sensible and proportionate. Remember if the worst happens someone has got to come looking for you. I've been involved in searches where the ending wasn't good.

Mountain rescue teams are all volunteers don't forget...
Apr 2019
2:10pm, 13 Apr 2019
15,027 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Well said. :)
Apr 2019
2:13pm, 13 Apr 2019
15,028 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Rosehip, we’ve got a 2-person shelter just like that one. We first were introduced to them when we were ski touring in Norway. They are really warm and cosy, and surprisingly not claustrophobic, even if you only use it for having your lunch piece.
Apr 2019
3:25pm, 13 Apr 2019
387 posts
  •  
Muttley
I run alone on the trails, sometimes in pretty rough weather (I'm in Cornwall). My Garmin has a feature whereby I could link it to a smartphone and someone else could track me. But for that I need a) a smartphone and b) someone who gives a shit. Fail on both counts :-)

Every time I go out I wear an ID bracelet with name and a couple of other details on it (blood group, no known allergies, organ donor etc). Since I am single and live alone, I'm not really sure what more I can do so I don't worry about it.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Rosehip
Wasn't sure what to call this thread - hope that's enough to get some discussion.

In th...