Hi ,
It looks like you're using an ad blocker. I understand. No-one likes ads.

But our site costs money to operate, and I need to eat.

Please consider enabling ads for our website, or making a voluntary donation. If you donate, I can turn off the ads for you for a period of time. Average donations are about £3.50 per month, so a tenner would give you three months ad free.

Here's a link to our donation info.

Thanks,
Ian Williams aka Fetch

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Reducing single-use/disposable plastic

75 watchers
16 Aug
10:02am, 16 Aug 2019
42781 posts
Velociraptor
I've had an email today from Booths supermarket inviting shoppers to bring their own containers with the explicit intention of reducing single-use plastic :)
16 Aug
12:26pm, 16 Aug 2019
13275 posts
Rosehip
I was just going to post the same :)

(but I have no idea how Booths got my email address as I don't have their loyalty card)

Tesco packed my meat into the container I took - but they weighed it on a plastic sheet and wrapped it in that in my container - is this usual?
16 Aug
12:45pm, 16 Aug 2019
28960 posts
LindsD
That's what happens at the fish counter at Waitrose. I guess they can't weigh it directly on the scales as you would at home. It's annoying, though.
16 Aug
1:04pm, 16 Aug 2019
10908 posts
Garfield
What they should do is weigh your container first, then put the meat in it and then do the difference to get the price. When I was working in a health food years ago, we could take the weight of the container and work out the actual weight of what was in the container (in this case, it was fresh grind peanut butter).
16 Aug
1:09pm, 16 Aug 2019
10444 posts
MazH
just reset/zero the scales once the container is on the scale.
16 Aug
2:25pm, 16 Aug 2019
1335 posts
Silvershadow
I’ve taken my containers to Sainsbury’s, an independent butcher and a farm shop for meat. All have reset the scales and put the meat directly in my container.
16 Aug
2:31pm, 16 Aug 2019
28964 posts
LindsD
I think at Waitrose they also use the plastic to pick up the fish :(
16 Aug
2:47pm, 16 Aug 2019
10909 posts
Garfield
Exactly MazH!
16 Aug
7:53pm, 16 Aug 2019
13277 posts
Rosehip
I wonder if they're worried that our own containers might not be clean enough and then they'd be be investigated in food poisoning situations?
Any which way, I rarely buy supermarket meat. I much prefer to get it from my usual regenerative ag. farm sources. If once in a while I get a small slice of plastic film with my beef, that's got to be better than buying it prepacked from the chill counters.
17 Aug
7:51am, 17 Aug 2019
10910 posts
Garfield
It's definitely less plastic. Having said that, in some ways I don't blame them putting the fish or meat on something before putting it on the scale - or they'd have to disinfect the scale every time they weighed something.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Information about Plastic Packaging:
UK: wrap.org.uk

EU: ec.europa.eu

What products have microbeads?
beatthemicrobead.org

To help you reduce try one level at a time:https://tyrelady.wordpress.com/support-the-challenges/

What the EU is doing:
europa.eu

- currently the UK will be following SOME of the EU measures.
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

Terms used to describe plastic:
1. Biodegradable (also oxi-biodegradable)
2. Bioplastic
3. Compostable
4. Plastic that potentially could be recycled (has numbers)
5. Plastic that cannot be recycled

Some resources:
BBC's info on the numbers on Plastics:
news.bbc.co.uk

The misconceptions of biodegradable plastics from an academic:
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acs.est.7b04051?src=recsys&

Understanding plastic terms:
wrap.org.uk

Bioplastic developments as seen by British Plastic

britishplastics.co.uk

Close