The Field of the Cloth of Gold - Book Group Discussion Thread

10 watchers
Nov 2017
10:52am, 30 Nov 2017
97,460 posts
  •  
GregP
I laughed at the corrective memes - for example the phrases trolled out when correcting the narrator about bugles not trumpets, cookhouses rather than refreshment tents/whatever. There were several sets of these.
Dec 2017
11:14am, 2 Dec 2017
3,816 posts
  •  
Blotts Mate
Ordered this on line from the local library & it arrived in a few days. This facility never fails to thrill me. New releases can take while so when the "it's arrived" notice pops up in the Inbox I've usually forgotten I'd ordered it. Last one I ordered was massive with small font. This was small with big font. My heart soared when I clocked this when I collected it.

I liked this. It made me relate to behaviours between individuals and their cliques in workplaces & clubs I've been involved with. I have encountered Thomas-like characters and tend to avoid them....
Dec 2017
2:55pm, 14 Dec 2017
20,532 posts
  •  
LindsD
I need to review this before I forget but I'm rushing. Here's my initial thoughts.

I liked Maintenance of Headway very much, but this one I struggled with a bit. For one thing I would have liked a map, so I could visualise it properly. I kept getting confused about who was who, especially since all the names started with H (well, a lot).

I did like it, but it made me feel quite uncomfortable. As I commented on the Book Group thread, there was a sense of impending doom throughout, which I didn't like very much. On reflection there were some parts that were quite funny. I liked the narrative voice - he seemed very naive and quite neutral about everything, until the end. I loved the character of Isabella with her swimming and crimson cushions. Some of the other characters were really good, too. One thing that slightly annoyed me was the sense that I should be seeing some cosmic message behind all of this. Obviously there were some characters that were meant to be, well characters - to represent human traits. I kept thinking I should go 'aha' and realise what he was getting at. I think I enjoyed MoH more because I didn't have that feeling about that book. I haven't read anyone else's comments yet.

Gotta go - might post more later.
Dec 2017
3:58pm, 14 Dec 2017
20,533 posts
  •  
LindsD
Have read back. Agree with everyone. Is that possible?
Dec 2017
4:15pm, 14 Dec 2017
97,970 posts
  •  
GregP
Yup. Except McG didn't like it IIRC.
Dec 2017
4:23pm, 14 Dec 2017
32,316 posts
  •  
McGoohan
It was Okayish
Dec 2017
4:24pm, 14 Dec 2017
20,537 posts
  •  
LindsD
I didn't 100% like it either. I don't think I would recommend it. I gave it a 7, though.
Dec 2017
8:16pm, 14 Dec 2017
14,333 posts
  •  
Columba
Linds - when I was reading it I made a map as I went along.
Dec 2017
10:49pm, 14 Dec 2017
20,546 posts
  •  
LindsD
I was thinking of you when I couldn't remember who was who, Columba. Shd have made a list.
Jun 2018
6:37pm, 1 Jun 2018
103,335 posts
  •  
GregP
I've just noticed this is 'related' to the Magnum thread :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Hey there pop pickers. It's the November 2017 Book Group Book. These are the platters that matt...

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 112,238 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here