Improve speed fitness levels

2 watchers
Apr 2017
7:18pm, 26 Apr 2017
First-time poster!!
  •  
Harvey64
I`m a 53 year old male , still about a stone overweight (having lost 2 over the past year) and run just under 30 minutes on my local parkrun and 10k is 1hr 10 mins ish and would like a plan to help increase speed and endurance i generally run 5km on saturday 5-10 on monday and 5k on wednesday, any thoughts guys/gals?thanks Harvey
Apr 2017
7:30pm, 26 Apr 2017
7,567 posts
  •  
lammo
Hi Harvey, welcome to fetch.

Conventional wisdom would say work on one or the other, and not both at the same time, that path leads to injury.

Also you'll probably find that just upping your weekly mileage, nice and slowly, will improve your speed anyway.

I'm sure somebody more qualified than me will be along shortly, in the mean time, congrats on the weight loss and getting out there :-)
Apr 2017
7:46pm, 26 Apr 2017
460 posts
  •  
Oranj
I can't help but feel that the new and exciting Project Joker is just the thing: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/joker-plan.php
Apr 2017
7:52pm, 26 Apr 2017
461 posts
  •  
Oranj
There's a forum thread here: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/forum__59745__project_joker
Apr 2017
8:18pm, 26 Apr 2017
34,355 posts
  •  
Fierce and Fearless Fleecy
Welcome to fetch!
Sneak in a 3rd run each week and keep it steady and you'll see your times improve without too much effort I reckon. When you plateau the add some speed work in :)
Apr 2017
8:33pm, 26 Apr 2017
26 posts
  •  
kev-eats-owt
Hills are speedwork in disguise, they make you pick up your knees and drive with your arms. Just pick a hillier run than usual and you will be become quicker.
Apr 2017
7:12pm, 27 Apr 2017
2 posts
  •  
Harvey64
Thanks for everyone for taking the time to reply, one thing i`ve found puzzling is the reason runners lift their feet so high when running ,i`ve tried it and it seems to use more energy which seems counter productive.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Harvey64
I`m a 53 year old male , still about a stone overweight (having lost 2 over the past year) and run j...