The Spine/Spine Challenger Races 2018

10 watchers
Nov 2017
5:03pm, 28 Nov 2017
4 posts
  •  
lake
To be honest Chris, I think I've read every race report available, and have come to that exact conclusion. I think I read somewhere to consider it an "expedition ultra" where the aim is to complete whilst remaining in one piece (both mentally and physically).
My kit is mainly sorted, and I'm spending unpleasant hours overnight going up and down Folkestone cliff edge (narrow, steep rough trail) with my full-weight pack to get some kind of ascent into my legs. It's all pretty rubbish though...

To those saying "the spine is so far out of my league I could never even consider it......" that's exactly where I was 5 years ago. uh oh.
Jan 2018
2:27pm, 3 Jan 2018
4,080 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
Less than 2 weeks to go........
Jan 2018
2:29pm, 3 Jan 2018
46,815 posts
  •  
swittle
*send note to mouse re additional tracking duties*
Jan 2018
1:39pm, 8 Jan 2018
65 posts
  •  
SimonF
This year's Spine looks to have by far the strongest field ever. Previous winners Pavel, Eugenie, Eoin Keith and Tom Hollins all return, but are joined by Jim Mann, (holder of all the Winter round records, 2 of them set during a mad 4 weeks early last year) and also the winner of the 2016 Tor des Geants, Oliviero Bosatelli (also 2nd this year), and Pablo Criado Toca who was 3rd behind Oliviero in 2016. It will be really interesting to see how they adapt to the Pennine Way in winter.

On the women's side, there are also two Tor des Geants veterans coming to challenge last year's winner, Carol Morgan. Harriet Kjaer was 11th in the Alpine race in 2017 and Daphne Derouch was 14th.

I can't wait to spend a week or so sitting in front of a computer watching this pan out!
Jan 2018
1:51pm, 8 Jan 2018
37,513 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Phenomenal field! This bonkers event has carved out its place in the Bonkers Events Calendar.
Jan 2018
2:35pm, 8 Jan 2018
855 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
If the ground stays frozen can the winner of the Challenger finish before the full race starts? One or two folk in the field who maybe capable (though one seems to have picked up a bug this weekend) and if a head to head develops then sub 24 has to be possible.
Jan 2018
3:31pm, 8 Jan 2018
4,081 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
I will be bringing up the rear of the Spine - race number 232 for the dot watchers :-)
Jan 2018
9:28am, 9 Jan 2018
66 posts
  •  
SimonF
FF - I'd like to have been there to see the Challenger winner finish, but, as you've said, all being well I will still be in Edale waiting for Chris to start (amongst others ;).
Jan 2018
9:31am, 9 Jan 2018
67 posts
  •  
SimonF
BTW - also seen the winner of the 2017 Eufòria dels Cims (Julian Morcillo) is on the Spine start line. It really is a classy field this year.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by ChrisThePuma
So after completing the spine challenger this year I am down for the full version next year. This ye...