Malapropism!

25 watchers
Mar 2023
11:16pm, 29 Mar 2023
2,815 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
I wouldn't be surprised, but after google found Islandic water flavoured with Tahitian lime my life lost its sparkle.
Aug 2023
10:43pm, 9 Aug 2023
47,477 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Across the piste, mistaken version of the very annoying biz-speak phrase "across the piece". I thought my boss was trying to coin a new skiing based metaphor, but no, a genuine misunderstanding of the phrase.

Is larks due to tell is about his aunt's Iranian ostriches again?! :-) G
3M
19 Feb
9:02am, 19 Feb 2024
23,403 posts
  •  
3M
"The activity has been completed, but we didn’t receive any intimation mail, can you please conform weather the activity is completed or not."

(In fairness, English isn't their first language, and that's a lot better than my Guajarati would be! But it made me smile.)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by 3M
The word "malapropism" (and its earlier variant "malaprop") comes from a character named "Mrs. Malaprop" in Richard Brinsley Sheridan's 1775 play The Rivals. Mrs. Malaprop frequently misspeaks (to comic effect) by using words which don't have the meaning that she intends but which sound similar to words that do.