Important excel files deleted - Please Help

1 watcher
Oct 2016
12:10pm, 27 Oct 2016
8,502 posts
  •  
The Terminator
So I have deleted a whole folder off my desktop (and from recycle bin) with some important excel files in it. This was within the last week. Have downloaded free file retrieval software and although it finds the folder it is not locating any files in it? Nor are the ones you have to pay with (I have done the search but not paid for retrieval). However Im thinking if they are still somewhere on my computer then surely there is a way I can find them myself?

If someone can help I will be forever grateful?
Oct 2016
3:43pm, 27 Oct 2016
6,864 posts
  •  
Little Nemo - this kitten can
I think if they've been deleted from your recycle bin then the disk space the files occupied is marked as available. So if you've saved anything since they were deleted that disk space may have been overwritten. Stupid question but do you backup your data in any way?
Oct 2016
9:28pm, 27 Oct 2016
1,568 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
cgsecurity.org

Run it on the C drive and wait. It will recover a LOT of files, some of which will likely be Excel. Chances are you will get them back. It will not know what to name them, so you will have to open them to see what they contain.
Oct 2016
11:49am, 28 Oct 2016
8,503 posts
  •  
The Terminator
Thanks both. Yes I do back up but not recently enough for these particular files. All sorted now anyway thanks.
Oct 2016
11:51am, 28 Oct 2016
1,220 posts
  •  
larkim
I must admit I use cloud storage for this very reason. Google Drive (appears as a folder on my computer) keeps 30 day archives of deleted files etc, so its trivial to go back after something disastrous has happened!

Out of interest, how did you solve your problem?
Oct 2016
4:21pm, 28 Oct 2016
6,872 posts
  •  
Little Nemo - this kitten can
That's good news :-)
Oct 2016
10:43am, 30 Oct 2016
8,504 posts
  •  
The Terminator
I just used the file retrieval software but has to dig a little deeper. I'll sort a cloud thing out now 😀
Oct 2016
10:52pm, 31 Oct 2016
1,666 posts
  •  
Longwayround [LWR]
Can I recommend Crashplan? I've been using it for years and it's saved my bacon on more than a couple of occasions.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by MaT.T
So I have deleted a whole folder off my desktop (and from recycle bin) with some important excel fil...