Turbo trainers

3 watchers
Oct 2016
5:22pm, 5 Oct 2016
4,760 posts
  •  
Winded
Types of trainer resistance (mostly)

1. Fan - air. Noisy but very cheap, resistance can be altered by changing gears and it may also have different resistance levels that you alter using a switch.

2. Magnetic - resistance is varied by using a switch, often on a lead so you can stay on the saddle. Of course you can also change gear to suit.

3. Fluid - quiet and progressive. As you pedal faster the resistance increases because the fan blades move faster through the oil. I have one and it is nice. More expensive fluid ones may also have a magnetic element as well as the fluid.

4. Direct drive- the bike chain goes straight into the trainer - your bike but the back wheel is removed.

5. Flywheel - not exactly a different type but with some magnetic trainers and direct drive trainers there will be a flywheel - in general heavier is better. To give an idea most gym style spin bikes are magnetic/ flywheel.

6. Smart - Be Very careful as terminology & marketing varies. A smart trainer will connect to an app/ online gibbons and allow you to rise in a virtual world - link to a of or iPad etc.

7. Zwift - Zwift is an online virtual place to ride your bike. Almost any trainer can be used but to make it worthwhile you want one that measures power and has the capability for the software to alter the resistance so it is harder to pedal uphill and you can accurately compare to others.
Oct 2016
5:24pm, 5 Oct 2016
4,761 posts
  •  
Winded
"Online gubbins and allow you to ride in a virtual world " - other errors also due to bloody autocorrect.
Oct 2016
5:25pm, 5 Oct 2016
4,762 posts
  •  
Winded
"Link to a PC" - I may throw my phone away or just go for a run.
Oct 2016
5:29pm, 5 Oct 2016
14,969 posts
  •  
hellen
Thanks for the translations I did know a few of them!
I am new to cycling but want to get faster / stronger as I am rubbish. I have really enjoyed doing suffer fest interval style classes and expect to use it a lot for that sort of stuff as well as doing some long rides in the winter ... When I'm running again it will be hard to fit cycling into daylight hours so I figure I could use the turbo to do a long ride in the evening
Oct 2016
10:45am, 9 Oct 2016
14,970 posts
  •  
hellen
Halfords have a Cheaper version of the vortex called the flow which looks very similar but £150 cheaper so may well go for that unless I can find a reason to spend the extra and get the vortex! Reviews suggest not much different
Dec 2016
6:54pm, 6 Dec 2016
9 posts
  •  
TheNorthernRunner
I am also new to all this but looking into getting a turbo trainer. How much would I need to spend on a smart trainer? Can you recommend any?
Dec 2016
9:35pm, 8 Dec 2016
14,971 posts
  •  
hellen
I got the tacx smart flow which was £200 from Halfords. It is a special model only for Halfords. The next one up was almost an extra £100. It had higher wattage or something but this one is totally adequate

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by hellen
Hi,

I am looking at buying a Turbo trainer but there are so many sorts I am really not sure where ...