Cracked/bruised Ribs

1 watcher
Jul 2016
2:16pm, 3 Jul 2016
7,855 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
What are the signs of a cracked rib?

Managed to run into a pole with a street sign on it (one of those that tells you parking regulations) at pace whilst Orienteering this morning and have a bruise where I hit the pole on the left hand side of my chest.

It's not excruciatingly painful when I breathe, but I can definitely feel it.
Jul 2016
2:35pm, 3 Jul 2016
9,418 posts
  •  
Sharkie
This won't be much help, fozzy - but basically it's very difficult to tell! It was thought I cracked two ribs high jumping but phys said no point in an x-ray. I remember very restricted movement, especially forward flexion and back extension... and it certainly hurt.

Laughing's no joke either!
Jul 2016
5:59pm, 3 Jul 2016
30,652 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
Sounds like you've bruised a rib to me.
I have a lot of previous with ribs!

Cracked ribs mean breathing, sneezing, laughing, lying down on your side etc are all excruciatingly painful.
Bruised is similar just not quite as painful. They heal by themselves in 4-6 weeks.

Take it easy!
MH
Jul 2016
7:18pm, 3 Jul 2016
385 posts
  •  
MH
I've also had quite a lot of previous with ribs too and can echo what Bintmcskint has said, and as Sharkie has advised they rarely Xray them now. You may have bruised a rib
Jul 2016
7:32pm, 3 Jul 2016
7,857 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Yeah, the pain has eased somewhat over the day, so think bruised rather than broken. Got a lovely mark that I think is going to be a hefty bruise tomorrow.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by rf_fozzy
What are the signs of a cracked rib?

Managed to run into a pole with a street sign on it (one of ...