Cough Cough

1 watcher
Mar 2016
12:17pm, 21 Mar 2016
2,474 posts
  •  
Dawnp
Ok I have a nasty chest cough, not been able to run for over a week now and am doing London Marathon

Furthest I have been is 16.5 miles and I don't realistically feel I can run again this week as I can't even walk down the road without coughing and spluttering like an old man on 80 a day. It's worse at night and I have pulled something in my back because of the coughing.

I'm trying to get a docs appointment at mo just so I can get something to get rid.

Here's my question - Do I defer to next year and make sure I am healthier or do I man the hell up and get out and do the marathon anyhow with just 4 weeks to go

To be honest, it's not my first marathon so I do kinda know what I should be doing, health first and all that but so frustrating after being off for 3 years with PF :(
Mar 2016
1:15pm, 21 Mar 2016
1,343 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Running certainly isn't advisable if it's a chesty cough in comparison to a tickly one. Missing one week's training is not a disaster. However, once it becomes a fortnight or more, you need to cut back on your training and long runs by about ten percent per week, once the virus has cleared.

If you do shift the cough sooner than expected, then you have a decision to make regarding deferring your place. Some people might still want to take part and just get around the course, although if you want to do the event some justice (and for the sake of your own health and wellbeing), deferring may be the preferred option.

Certainly, the doctor should give you some sound advice, especially if you tell him/her that you have an upcoming marathon.
Mar 2016
7:58am, 23 Mar 2016
2,475 posts
  •  
Dawnp
Thanks SP, I am on the antibiotics now, full blown chest infection, backs still sore so I am taking the decision to defer the marathon this year. I don't want to just get round to be honest.

Thanks again
Mar 2016
12:58pm, 23 Mar 2016
1,344 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I'm glad that you're taking that route, Dawnp.

Once, I had a chest infection and was determined to get back into training as I had a marathon coming up. After a number of weeks off, I tried to do 14 miles, but struggled to just 11. I also strained a muscle in my heart which worried me sick for a number of weeks while my GP and hospital checked what the pain was.
Mar 2016
10:41am, 29 Mar 2016
2,476 posts
  •  
Dawnp
Blimey Phil, not good, deferred yesterday. Now to get rid of this cough.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Dawnp
Ok I have a nasty chest cough, not been able to run for over a week now and am doing London Marathon...