Best shoes for Trail Ultra - Views...

4 watchers
drj
Jan 2016
10:46am, 22 Jan 2016
3 posts
  •  
drj
Know its a very personal thing but I've struggled to find an ideal pair of shoes for trail marathon upwards.
I like an approx 4mm drop and plenty of fore foot flex. Forfoot, midfoot landing. No real pronation probs.
Kinvara on road spot on. Brooks Puregrit (mark 1) great but felt the underfoot rocks after 20 miles :-( Inov Trailroc 245 ok but I find the forefoot (rockplate?) too stiff and inflexible (also not sure they'd be suitable for the long miles). New Balance Leadville eat up miles and comfy on hard stuff tarmac - but feel clunky.
Was thinking of trying Skechers Go Run Ultras - after a chat with ultra runner in queues for loo.
Any thoughts, ideas, advice?
Jan 2016
10:50am, 22 Jan 2016
6,989 posts
  •  
Binks
I've been wearing Newton Bocos and like them. I think they are around 4mm drop, that's what I usually go for.

They are pricey, I got them half price of sportpursuit.

sportpursuit.com

Dunno if they are there now though.
Jan 2016
10:52am, 22 Jan 2016
6,990 posts
  •  
Binks
sweatband.com

Actually 3mm drop according to this. £65 is not a bad price.
drj
Jan 2016
11:46am, 22 Jan 2016
4 posts
  •  
drj
Interesting website (Sportspursuit) - some good prices! How's the "rocking motion" on the Newton's? Does it feel artifical? Are they ok when you get tired and a bit more flat footed? WHat did you move from to the Boco's. Interesting option ...... thanks!
Jan 2016
8:18pm, 22 Jan 2016
1,790 posts
  •  
Wazelle
I've tried Innov8 245 and skechers go run ultra. The former is a bit stiff but grippy. Those skechers you either love or hate. It is like running in platforms on moss, but you slide in the mud and on technical terrain I worry about my twisting my ankles. (but don't) I have broad flat feet, and haven't found anything better, so would be glad of advice from anyone else wtht the same
drj
Jan 2016
11:01am, 23 Jan 2016
6 posts
  •  
drj
Am even tempted by a mix - Inov8 ultra 270s for first half (or trailroc 255s or even the 245s...) then Go Run Ultras at the bag drop for the last 30 odd miles ..... ?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by drj
Know its a very personal thing but I've struggled to find an ideal pair of shoes for trail marathon...