Feature I can no longer find on the site - ability to enter a race time and see who has achieved that time?

3 watchers
Jan 2016
10:41pm, 17 Jan 2016
14 posts
  •  
boyband6666
Cheers all. Glad in some ways to see it isn't just me, and it has consciously been taken down. Also again not complaining, I can see how it was grinding the server a bit. Hopefully it returns though (or the existing feature is refined to do the important things even better), as it was very useful.

As for the replacement, I have been using it to gauge my training, but think I have spotted a few issues:
- The bands are very wide - a 2:45 and a 3:00 marathon are different beasts. Maybe drop downs might allow a bit more fidelity without breaking the UI? Say 5 mins at the marathon, 2 minutes at the half, 1 minute at 10K and 30S at 5k? M and 10M seem little used (and not distances people target).
- This links to the second point, it isn't clear on how wide the calliper is - for a 2:45, is it all people who fall between 2.30 and 3? i.e. 2.37.50 to 2.52.30? Or narrower? Is <2.30 all sub 2.30? Quite important as those outcomes can be quite different, especially at the sharp end. Knowing it was a 2 or 2.5 minute leeway either way, would be really helpful to make sure you are comparing apples with apples.

- The number of weeks goes from 0 to 16, a total of 17 weeks. Most training programs are 16 weeks, some are 18, so one or the other (0-15, or 0-17) would be better, though most also call race week week 1 so it would be 1-16, or 1-18

The above are easy fixes, the difficult ones are below:
- Does this consider all performances, or all people? If one person has 5 performances, their training will count 5 times. Might be better to average each person in that bracket's training, and then include it once so as not to overcount it
- The feature as it stands doesn't have one of the best things from before, an idea of the distribution - knowing the average miles per week is one thing, but it was useful to know how that varied between people. I was always in the bottom 20% for mileage, but it would be good to know what that looks like for a faster time. Equally the average run sometimes is 20 miles. Is that everyone doing 20, or some going 25 and some 15?

Anyway looking forward to see what other features we get as an when Fetch gets the time. Though accept that with a never ending to do list it could be a while :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by boyband6666
Hello,

For the life of me I can't find a nice little stalking tool I used to use when looking at...