•  
XB
I can't spell definitely either.
May 2015
5:36pm, 20 May 2015
2,827 posts
  •  
tom_craggs
Have a look at this - I met the people that did a lot of the research to back up this campaign - there is a decent amount of fairly compelling evidence of the physical benefits for the general population.

getbritainstanding.org
May 2015
7:18pm, 20 May 2015
21,339 posts
  •  
Fleece and Dust
The other thing I find in my research is that people are rubbish at estimating how much they sit, because it's extremely difficult to establish. When people do tot it up they are often horrified.
Summary of a very recent paper showing anyone with an office job is stuffed
blogs.plos.org
May 2015
10:49pm, 20 May 2015
9,802 posts
  •  
alpenrose
My Dad and uncle got varicose veins from having to stand all day in their jobs.
May 2015
10:56pm, 20 May 2015
3,095 posts
  •  
RevBarbaraG
Very interesting......

I am due to move next year, and I've just been to a briefing meeting about the process of matching (Methodist) ministers to appointments. The circuit is responsible for providing study furniture.... I just may put ina request for a sit/stand desk and see what happens.
Jun 2015
11:46am, 2 Jun 2015
1,307 posts
  •  
EarlyRiser
New guidance issued yesterday in British Journal of Sports Medicine. Expert Statement commissioned by Public Health England. Reported on today in The Guardian and The Independent.

bjsm.bmj.com

From abstract:

'for those occupations which are predominantly desk based, workers should aim to initially progress towards accumulating 2 h/day of standing and light activity (light walking) during working hours, eventually progressing to a total accumulation of 4 h/day (prorated to part-time hours).'

So it's official.. ?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by EarlyRiser
Like many of us, I used to be an office-bound worker sat in front of a computer screen. Six weeks ago I stood up to work instead.