The Sufferfest

2 watchers
Feb 2015
3:59pm, 28 Feb 2015
3,747 posts
  •  
Kieren
I've been cross training on a spin bike lately using videos from the Sufferfest website.

They are race videos you follow along to and it tells you how fast to pedal and at what effort level.

So far I just have the three videos from the starter pack:

A Very Dark Place (intervals for sustained efforts)
The Long Scream (time trial training)
The Downward Spiral (short, sharp max intensity intervals)

Is anyone else out there using them? I guess yes but the search function didn't return any results.

Any recommendations for other videos most welcome.
Feb 2015
4:03pm, 28 Feb 2015
4,201 posts
  •  
Debstir
They're the ones I've got. They're evil. I also got 'Elements of Style'. Good for concentrating on your form. But they're evil...
Feb 2015
4:21pm, 28 Feb 2015
127 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
I've a friend whose a triathlete that has been doing these. He just did a 12hr compilation called something like the kingdom of sufferilia. It sounded insane. I'll see if I can find a link to his blog

CW
Feb 2015
4:23pm, 28 Feb 2015
128 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Here it is, enjoy
drgironman.blogspot.co.uk

CW
Feb 2015
5:39pm, 28 Feb 2015
3,749 posts
  •  
Kieren
CW, that sounds awful. Thanks for the link.

Debstir, did you gleam anything useful form elelements of style?

I have up to 90 minutes in the gym on Monday mornings to try new videos (only time we can get space in the studio) and try to cram a session in on the lunch break. For that reason, I've mostly been doing The Long Screem.

I might try The Downward Spiral on Monday if my gym buddy is up for it and am going to download "Half is Easy" as another lunchtime video
Feb 2015
5:48pm, 28 Feb 2015
338 posts
  •  
twelveone
Hello mate. I have all of the sufferfest vids, the rookie is v good, also check out angels, the hunted, and chrysalis is a great triathlon video, getting you switching between bike and run over 4 intervals. Tried their running videos for the first time last month while I was in the US (it was -20°C outside!), they were tough going, tricky to adjust speed quickly enough on the treadmill.

The knighthood that CW Is referring to is on my todo list, might have a crack at it later this year...
Feb 2015
6:18pm, 28 Feb 2015
3,750 posts
  •  
Kieren
Ah Hello, I think I'll add Angels & The Hunted to the download list. They look good.

How on earth do you manage a brick session? I really like the idea but don't think I could hog 2 pieces of equipment in the gym
Feb 2015
6:51pm, 28 Feb 2015
339 posts
  •  
twelveone
Not tried the chrysalis brick session in the gym, but I've done it using my turbo trainer at home, doing laps around the block during the run intervals, so obviously can't watch the vid during them. I created an app for my Suunto watch that beeps whenever there's supposed to be a pace change and it displays the target pace. Works pretty well, and I'm back by the time the transition starts, then back on the bike for the video and next bike interval.

I guess you could do it at the gym watching it on a phone/tablet and just move that from bike to treadmill if there's somewhere to stow it.
Mar 2015
1:18am, 4 Mar 2015
3,754 posts
  •  
Kieren
Thanks. Gone with:

Angels
The Hunted
9 Hammers

Going to aim to be training threshold / base for 6 weeks. I'm tempted to get 'rubber glove' too but I think I can workout FTP from heart rate data on the other rides. I don't have anything to measure power or cadence yet.

The heart rate chest strap can measure cadence on the run but not on the bike. I might try setting it to 'run' to see if it records anything. If not, I might buy a bluetooth cadence gadget.

The rookie does look good. It's on the shopping list :)

You are quite organised for the tri video - I'm impressed. Also quite impressed that they add in transition time, although I suppose that makes sense
Jun 2015
9:49pm, 11 Jun 2015
3,772 posts
  •  
Kieren
I've been using one of the running videos lately - the machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP6qEBX8Lx8

It's good. First half is easy

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
I've been cross training on a spin bike lately using videos from the Sufferfest website.

They ar...