Pain in the bum

4 watchers
Jan 2015
8:14pm, 22 Jan 2015
929 posts
  •  
StringSideUp
Not exactly a pain, more a discomfort, deep in the right buttock up against the bone, or that's how it feels. Weirdly, it doesn't bother me on runs, but is worse after a long one, and I really feel it when walking up hill or up stairs, pretty much all the time. Started in about October I think, soon after I took up running again.

So, wondering what if anything can be done: exercises? stretches? I suppose this could possibly be related to my weak and tight hips in some way? Just don't want it to suddenly become a worse problem!
Jan 2015
8:58am, 23 Jan 2015
1,093 posts
  •  
Fitz
Have a look at Kinetic Revolution. A lot of their stuff is about hip and glute strength / stretches. You should be able to find something there that will get to the bottom (arf!) of the problem.
Jan 2015
9:53am, 23 Jan 2015
23,868 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sounds like Piriformis syndrome? I found it bliddy uncomfortable. Bizarrely worst sitting in car, or sometimes at desk, ok when running.

To treat - massage or for self massage try rolling foam roller or the spiky ball. To prevent, usual stretching, and strengthening. Try single leg squats, clam, lying down side leg lifts, side leg circles etc. We do a lot of these in Pilates (been doing it 1 x per week for 2 years now) and I don't get the prob any more.

Good luck. :-) G
Jan 2015
10:09am, 23 Jan 2015
2,146 posts
  •  
Hackett
Sit on a tennis ball ....
Jan 2015
11:52am, 23 Jan 2015
930 posts
  •  
StringSideUp
Thank you, everyone. Will check out Kinetic Revolution. I know a few good exercises from Pilates, but I'm so bad at actually doing stuff like that at home. Single leg squats?! Yikes. Like the idea of sitting on a tennis ball for massage at desk! And will try to remember to do the bloody exercises!
Jan 2015
3:40pm, 23 Jan 2015
2,735 posts
  •  
minardi.
wearing fitflops got rid of mine!
Sep 2019
10:44pm, 25 Sep 2019
2 posts
  •  
Hazelnut
Check out High Hamstring Tendinopathy

I have this - a right royal pain in the bum right over the sit bone. Test for this is put your foot forwards (the painful side), place it on the floor and then drag it back towards you without lifting your foot. If this hurts then it’s likely to be HHT. Google it for exercises. But this could be long term recovery.... good luck!
MH
Sep 2019
11:37pm, 25 Sep 2019
588 posts
  •  
MH
proximal hamstring tendinopathy is a total pain in the bum, as hazlenut says. I'd suggest a physio visit, as stretches for one thing (i.e. piriformis) can exacerbate another (i.e. PHT) - and I agree with above, PHT can be a long road....

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by StringSideUp
Not exactly a pain, more a discomfort, deep in the right buttock up against the bone, or that's how...