Half Marathon - One Tip Each

4 watchers
Jan 2014
2:21pm, 23 Jan 2014
11 posts
  •  
Gromit
Like others have said don't get sucked into other peoples pace at the start , and you can feel much better about yourself if you start from the back and pass other people rather than start near the front and get passed by the rest of the field ( a friend had me do that for my 1st half which was also the very annoying finish of Bristol and I hated every minute of it - ran my next one at my pace from the beginning and the back of the pack and loved every minute of it !! )
Jan 2014
2:44pm, 23 Jan 2014
556 posts
  •  
Spleen
Brighton Marathon is the opposite challenge to the Bristol Marathon - you can see the finish literally from miles away (it's the Grand Pier) and even though you're running directly towards it, it never... gets... any... closer...

Running that bit beforehand is probably a very good idea so you find out just how long it takes. Then for the race you can just ignore it.
Jan 2014
2:44pm, 23 Jan 2014
557 posts
  •  
Spleen
Bristol Half*
Jan 2014
9:02pm, 24 Jan 2014
1,217 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Stumbled across this thread and have found the tips really helpful. Thanks 😄😄

I hope to do my first half this year and it happens to be the Bristol half.. Unfortunately I won't be able to run the last three miles of it any time before hand as I live up in Scotland and am only coming down the day before to do the race and see family.
I haven't ran any longer than 10 miles although my next 10 mile race is in March so am training for that and then will continue to up the milage before Sept.
Jan 2014
9:14pm, 24 Jan 2014
13 posts
  •  
Gromit
Hi lipgloss , my 1st was Bristol and I hadn't quite done the distance before and it was fine , it's a long drag out along the parkway before they bring you back into Bristol for the winding round the city centre bit starts and watch out for the cobbled section but it's a great race with a friendly atmosphere you'll be fine :-)
Feb 2014
8:32am, 4 Feb 2014
1,682 posts
  •  
Hackett
SPLEEN so right ... Although it's a darn sight further away when you're running round that god awful power station when doing the Marathon. .... My tip is just relax!
Feb 2014
8:41am, 4 Feb 2014
2,654 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
Don't start too fast. you will, but don't.
Feb 2014
9:00am, 18 Feb 2014
202 posts
  •  
magnumpti
Thanks to all of you for these tips. I submitted my blog a few weeks ago and the site has finally gone live so if you want to see your contribution just look here http://humberhalf.arrivaldesign.co.uk/preparation/. All the tips are in the Preparation section. Happy reading!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by magnumpti
Somehow I've got involved in the rebranding of a local Half Marathon. As part of that I've been as...