Hip labral tear repair

2 watchers
T39
Jun 2013
9:24pm, 11 Jun 2013
1,982 posts
  •  
T39
I think it's a post surgery thing. I was on two crutches for about three weeks then onto one. Had physio too plus acupuncture on the ITB which was bizarrely very enjoyable
Running fine now, but no more marathons :-(
Jun 2013
9:29pm, 11 Jun 2013
10 posts
  •  
fevans
sorry about the no more marathons. having done two with the tear, i have successfully got the bug out of my system. thanks for the tip about accupuncture, i had great results with ITB and accupuncture, and I know what you mean about bizarely enjoyable!
Jun 2013
9:39pm, 11 Jun 2013
1,367 posts
  •  
PenW
I've got the marathon bug and really hope to get to do another one. Did Brighton with a painful hip (per diagnosis) and it wasn't fun at all. At the moment I'm building the mileage and will see hip surgeon again at the end of the month.

The physio has offered me acupuncture in my sacro iliac joint area (where I get most of the pain) and I do have tight problem ITBs too. May consider it - thanks :-)
T39
Jun 2013
7:09am, 12 Jun 2013
1,983 posts
  •  
T39
After surgery, my consultant gave me the photos. The tear had been scratching the femur head so could have potentially been worse long term.
Jun 2013
8:00am, 12 Jun 2013
16 posts
  •  
fevans
ooh, that sounds nasty. how old was the injury when you had the surgery?
T39
Jun 2013
10:18am, 12 Jun 2013
1,984 posts
  •  
T39
About 15 months
Felt it go at lake vyrnwy half marathon on September 2009.
Jun 2013
7:22am, 13 Jun 2013
20 posts
  •  
Pipes
I had surgery for FAI and labral tear on my left hip in Dec. 2011, then the right hip in Sept. 2012. Didn't try much running after the first op as the other side hurt too much. The surgeon said I could run 3 months after the 2nd side - I tried but decided I wasn't quite ready. I could do a run but it would hurt the next day. Now, nearly 9 months on, I'm able to run without pain or much discomfort, until I get to about 5 miles when my first hip groans a bit. I'm able to do parkruns faster than I thought I'd be able to again and the hips feel like they're improving all the time. Core exercises are key - I always hated them before!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi fetchies. Has anyone had arthroscopic hip labral tear repair? I have read a few fairly negative s...